Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

How Do I Sync Databases? I'm So Confused - Please Help!!

How Do I Sync Databases? I'm So Confused - Please Help!!

I am totally out of the loop with how Act Sage works... My sister and I both have Act on our laptops, and all we're trying to do is update our contact database information at the end of every day so that they all sync up with the latest info we've input. 

Can someone please tell me how this can be done?  I called customer support earlier and they said we can BACK UP our database on a DVD-R (for safe keeping - instead of using a server or going through Act Sage's server support) and that we can sync the database files somehow.

I tried testing this... created a small database (of 5 contacts) on my laptop.  But my laptop won't let me copy the database file to a jump drive to move it to the other computer.  It says "you'll need to provide administrator permission to copy this file" - so then I right clicked the file and tried changing permissions to 'full' - but this yet again, did nothing. 

I must be doing something VERY wrong - and if someone could PLEASE help me, it'd be much appreciated.  What we're looking to do seems so easy since we're not trying to remotely long in from somewhere or anything.  We just want to synch our contacts at the end of the day to have the most up to date database between the two of us.  Can someone PLEASE help?  Thanks in advance!

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: How Do I Sync Databases? I'm So Confused - Please Help!!

No, you can't sync by backing up ... and you can't just sync separate database, the remote must have been created from the master as a sync subscriber.

This might help:
http://blog.glcomputing.com.au/2009/01/sharing-act-network-or-sync-part-1.html
Bronze Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

This Sage ACT! KB explains sync: KB 14114

It may take a read or two to understand it, if it's just the two computers, I'd recommend going with Application Sync as detailed in KB 15192.

(edit: hehe, between when I started typing this reply and hitting post, Mike has also answered. )

Thank you for your replies.  But to be honest, I'm still a bit confused.  For someone who's not technically savvy.. is there a simple way of explaining how we can have our databases matched up with this software?  I'm beginning to wonder if it'd be easier to use a different company - because it seems very difficult to find an easy, straight-foward answer for how to do something that seems it should be simple. 

I guess I would've thought that Act Sage (for what you pay for the product) would include some type of a server for people to privately access and constantly update when you make changes.  I'm guessing that's not the case, correct? 

Thanks again for your help, btw. 

Bronze Super Contributor

Smiley Happy like most things, once you understand it, it's easy.

What you're after is one publisher database (this is the master, the main database) and one subscriber database (this sync's with the publisher).

In order to do this, decide which database you want to be the publisher (master). Then under Tools | Synchronisation Panel you can enable synchronisation, create a sync set (criteria saying what to sync), create a Remote Database (RDB). This RDB file is then copied to the second machine, and is restored, it becomes the subscriber. The subscriber can then sync with the publisher.

I'd suggest that you contact a ACT! Certified Consultant in you local area that can work with you to make this happen as not only can they do this for you, but they would also be able to customise the database such that it will be more useful to you and fit better with your business and workflow. It's a bit like buying a van from the car yard. Some people are fine with the van the way it is, others get racks and shelving put in the back so it works better for their business.

Ben.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Sync is a quite complex task (for any database)... as Ben said, you'll find it best to get an ACT! Consultant to set it up one correctly for you.

There are servers that you can use for the master, but these cost extra (usually a monthly subscription