Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

How Do I Change Where Letters are Stored?

How Do I Change Where Letters are Stored?

When I write a letter to a contact in Act! 10, then print it, it prompts me to save it in the contact history.  I always answer Yes.  The letters do appear in the History Tab.  However, under Tools > Preferences > Personal File Locations > Documents, I have it set to save the Documents in:

C:\Documents and Settings\slaser\My Documents\ACT\ACT For Windows 10\Databases

The problem is that the letters are not saved there.  They are saved here:

C:\act 2008\LavaCustomers-database files\Attachments

How do I Browse to a location on my computer where I can determine where I want the letters saved?  Also, can I name the letters instead of Act! giving them such generic names as Letter - 3198002322-Bob.Doc?

Thanks for any help.

Steve

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: How Do I Change Where Letters are Stored?

Attachments are always stored in the Attachments folder under the database folder.

I am happy with Act saving the files in the history tab but now it has started asking me where I want to save it?  I tried a system restore to but it didn't take.  Can someone tell me how to get ACT to save doc in history and automatically name the files.

Copper Elite Contributor

Steve,

There are actually two different options that are supported to save attachments.  One, as Mike pointed out are the attachments that you can attach to a given database and are stored in the attachments folder for that given database (like LavaCustomers).  The other option is via personal files which is a location that you can specify via Tools > Preferences > Personal File locations.  These are files that are not associated with a particular database.  So if you have a private price sheet or document that you don't want to share with others in the database, store it in the folder specified in that preference eg. C:\Documents and Settings\slaser\My Documents\ACT\ACT for Windows 10\Databases.  Create a shortcut to the file in that folder and you should be the only one that can see it (provided you don't share your My Documents folder with anyone else).  Yes you could do that with any local folder but the advantage is that once the location is specified in preferences you can back up the files in that folder, along with specialized dictionaries, internet links and menu/toolbars with the file > backup > personal files menu command.  To see a little bit more information about personal files have a look at KB article 19251.