Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

How Can I Adjust The Font So That It's Displayed in ACT fields in its Entirety?

Astute Commentator

How Can I Adjust The Font So That It's Displayed in ACT fields in its Entirety?

I've used ACT! Pro 2011 with Windows 7 Pro with the same monitor for a couple of years without any problem. The layout I've always used is "Base Contact Layout 1024 x 768". This is a new problem that appeared a couple of weeks ago. If a name, email address or any other text contains a y, g, q or j that extends below the baseline, the bottom of that letter is hidden. The text is simply too low in the field. If it was vertically centered in the field rather than at the bottom of the field, it would look normal.  Here's a screen shot of thwat I'm referring to.  Pay particular attention to the Contact's name, Spouse name, email address & web site address:

ACT Screen Shot_2013_1227-1.jpg

I have not changed any settings on my Windows display, so I can't figure out what is causing this problem and what the solution is.  Can any of you recommend a fix to this problem?

Silver Super Contributor

Re: How Can I Adjust The Font So That It's Displayed in ACT fields in its Entirety?

It looks like the font size of the Contact field is different than the font size of the other fields.  You will either need to increase the size of the box or reduce the font size for that field.

Stan

If you would like to get more out of ACT! you can find an ACT! Certified Consultant near you by going to:www.act.com/acc.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stan Smith
ACT! Certified Consultant
ADS Programming Services, Inc.
(205) 222-1661
www.adsprogramming.com
www.actwebhosting.com
Click Here to Purchase Act!
Astute Commentator

Re: How Can I Adjust The Font So That It's Displayed in ACT fields in its Entirety?

Thanks for your reply, Stan.  The font size in the Contact and Spouse fields have ALWAYS been larger than the fonts in the other fields.  And they fit in the fields nicely until recently.  

The font is near the bottom of the fields even where the font is small (ie. Email/Web fields).  

After I presented the problem I'm having, I tried the following remedy:   I thought of increasing the size of the fields and I then told myself "the fields were perfectly sized for 2+ years with the same hardware and software; the field size isn't the problem." 
I then checked the DPI settings and they were originally "small" which = 96. I then tried a Windows custom DPI setting and I set the screen at "9 point Segoe UI at 96 pixels per inch."

When I restarted Windows, the setting held, but the display in ACT! was unchanged from the symptoms I described. No other program that I'm running looks any different than it did before the problem began and Windows looks no different either.

Silver Super Contributor

At the risk of sounding pedantic if it looks different something changed.  It probably wasn't ACT! since you probably didn't run any sort of ACT! update or you would have mentioned it.  It's possible that some other application that you installed or updated changed a system font that affected the display.  I've actually read about the problem before but it was a long time ago (4-5 years) and I can't remember off hand what caused it.  You may be able to find the solution by browsing this forum or the ACT! Knowledgebase.

Stan

If you would like to get more out of ACT! you can find an ACT! Certified Consultant near you by going to:www.act.com/acc.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stan Smith
(205) 222-1661
www.adsprogramming.com
www.actwebhosting.com
Platinum Elite Contributor

This is an old memory but I believe that in the ACT! 3-6 days some of the printer drivers would cause that problem.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Silver Super Contributor

That does sound familiar.  Good place to start.

Stan

Stan Smith
(205) 222-1661
www.adsprogramming.com
www.actwebhosting.com
Astute Commentator

Thanks Stan, thanks Roy.

I actually have an ACT! advisor nearby.  I'm hoping that this problem will be easy enough to resolve on my own where I don't have to call him.  But I won't hesitate to do so if my efforts fail.