Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

How Can Desktop Computer and Laptop Share information?

How Can Desktop Computer and Laptop Share information?

Hi, using Act Pro 2011 for first time, and I have a desktop and a laptop. There has got to be someway where I can share data between them? Like when I go away with my laptop, I would like to be able to take the information in act with me.

I have tried everything that I could think of - from trying to share a Database across the network (didn't work, despite trying ALL possible solutions which were outlined as common problemds to that.) 

I tried copying the ADF directly, but of course that didn't work cause SQL doesn't let you.

I tried importing, but I guess that's just for older versions of Act.

I tried "synchornization", but can't seem to figure out what I have to click on in order to tell Act to talk to my desktop and my laptop. I was thinking that may be the route to go, but could not find ANY useful information on how to synchronize a desktop to a laptop anywhere.

(I kept finding how to synchronize Outlook to ACT, not what I want.)

So, is there a way to synchronize the ijnformation from my desktop to my laptop before I go away on a business trip? Is there any way to share information with ACT pro?

Thanks,

Silver Contributor

Re: How Can Desktop Computer and Laptop Share information?

Setting up Application synchronization is what you would want to do. This is accomplished by setting up a publisher database on one machine (your desktop) and from that creating a sync database for your laptop.  In it's simplest sense, the two databases can then be synchronized when connected to the same network..

Instructions for this setup are found HERE.

Test Drive Act! and Quickbooks over Citrix http://GoTryAct.com

Jon Klubnik| ActTrainer.com
(866)710 4228

ACT! Certified Consultant / ACT! Premier Trainer / ACT! Hosting Provider

I followed all the instructions to the letter, and it gives me the message that it can't sync.

It does get the database information to the laptop, but obviously if I make any changes, it doesn;t register on the other one.

When I try to "synchronize now", it gives an error. the same error that I was getting when trying to share the database in the first time.

It keeps mentioning a "sync server" - is that something extra I have to install, run, or is it something that's just automatic?

I already went through all the regular troubleshooting things, from network to firewall and all that, doesn't seem to be any problems doing anything there, so I can;t figure out why I can;t get Act to work through the network and share anything...

Any help would be appreciated, becasue without the ability of connecting the laptop to the desktop, well, that was the whole reason I bought the software, really.

Thanks.

John,

If you are the helpful guru guy, you might want to spell out for us newbies that Network Sync Service is ONLY AVAILABLE ON SAGE ACT! PREMIUM.

I just wasted a lot of time with this procedure only to learn I don't have the sync service to accomplish this task.

So, I'll ask again on behalf of the other gentleman and myself. Is there a way to sync with a laptop over a network using ACT! Pro or not? I also have tried all the advice regarding the shared database with absolutely no success.

Thanks!

Bronze Contributor

Jon clearly stated "Application Sync" in his reply.  He also posted a link that walks you through the setup, and in step #8 has a disclaimer that Network sync is only available in Premium.

Signature
Tuned Listener

If I am reading this correctly,

1.  synchronization is NOT AVAILABLE IN THE PRO VERSION OF ACT - ONLY PREMIUM.  CORRECT OR INCORRECT?

2.  If I want to synchronize, I must upgrade to the PREMIUM version of ACT.  CORRECT OR INCORRECT?

3.  If upgrading is the only option, how do I go about doing this?

Copper Contributor

"1.  synchronization is NOT AVAILABLE IN THE PRO VERSION OF ACT - ONLY PREMIUM.  CORRECT OR INCORRECT?"

Incorrect. You can sync just fine with the Pro version, you will just have to have the ACT! application open on your server in order to sync. That is the main difference.

"2.  If I want to synchronize, I must upgrade to the PREMIUM version of ACT.  CORRECT OR INCORRECT?"

Incorrect. You can sync with the Pro version.

"3.  If upgrading is the only option, how do I go about doing this?"

N/A.

Hope that helps!

Thanks,

Brian

Brian Coulter
Support Analyst, ACT!
Sage Business Solutions
Tuned Listener

Thank You!  Will give that a try!

Platinum Elite Contributor

[ Edited ]

You can refer to KB Article 15192 for instructions on setting up application sync for non-Premium versions of ACT!.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Tuned Listener

[ Edited ]

Quick question about licensing and sync - I understand I must have the same version on both machines - my laptop and desktop.  Can I load my software on my laptop and use the same license number?  Believe I found the answer under the License Agreement in ACT!  Okay to have a desktop and a remote under the same license - correct?

Another question - issue. 

Did as suggested in KB Article no. 15192.  Followed instructions exactly down to Create Remote Database.  As instructed, went to Tools | Sync Panel | Create Remote Database.  "Create Remote Database" is greyed out.  I cannot create a Remote Database.  My ACT Version info is:

Sage ACT! Pro 2011 Version 13.0.401.0, Hot Fix 2

What have I done wrong?