Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

How Big Is The Database

Bronze Super Contributor

How Big Is The Database

My customer has their db hosted with ACT with all users on an RDB.  Services are provided based on how large our database is which includes attachments.

I would like to verify that the size properties from these files (or folders) determines the size of the db.

• ADF 
  • ALF
  • Database folder to include:
    • Assemblies folder
    • Attachments folder
    • Backup folder
    • Custom folder
    • Dashboards folder
    • Layouts folder
    • Queries folder
    • Reports folder
    • System folder
    • Templates folder

Thanks 

John Purdy
ACT! Premium V. 22.1.212.0 Update 4
HP ENVY 17m, 16GB, & Office 365, 32bit, 500GB SSD.
ACT CRM Advisor
Silver Super Contributor

Re: How Big Is The Database

The answer is yes, there is also a .pad file but less than 1K 

Apart from the 2 system files the folder that takes up most space and grows very fast is the attachments folder as just about everything you link ACT to like emails and documents will end up in it.

If you click on the main ACT folder it will show the total size.

Just a thought, have you asked or looked about where ACT backups are stored as they often do not end up in the listed backup folder and are you being charged for those? The backups are often kept for 5 days and can include all the folders so again can be very large.

Bronze Super Contributor

Thanks Chip.  You brought up one interesting point - are we being charged for the space that our backups take.  Don't know, but I'll follow up on that point.

I did submit another question based on a suggestion from ACT Support when they could not answer why my All Contacts RDB is 5.9GB but the size on the server is about 13GB (both numbers include attachments). 

I did receive a suggestion from Mike Lzarus to ask ACT to provide space stats for the ADF and Attachments as well as the ALF file.

Our ADF is 2.1GB, ALF is .067GB and attachments 3.7GB.

No further action is needed at this time as I felt this positing is useful to others who one day may ask the same question.

John Purdy
ACT! Premium V. 22.1.212.0 Update 4
HP ENVY 17m, 16GB, & Office 365, 32bit, 500GB SSD.
ACT CRM Advisor
Silver Super Contributor

The RDB file is a compacted file like a zip file so all the attachments are going to take a lot less space than the original folder.

Hope that helps.