Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Hot Fixes vs Updates

Copper Contributor

Hot Fixes vs Updates

I am running act! v. 16 Pro on a Windows 8.1 computer.  I just updated manually to Act! Pro v16 SP2 Update - US (dated 9/26/14).  Would there be any need for me to download Act! v16 SP1 Hot Fix 2 (dated 7/31/14) or would the latest Service Pack include the said Hot Fix?  I guess I'm a little unclear as to the differences between hot fixes and updates.  My act! software - when I click 'Help' 'About' - tells me that I am running Act! Pro Version 16.2.14.0, Hot Fix 1 English (United States).

A secondary question I have is that when I tried to update my act! from the Help Menu within the program, it said that only the Windows Administrator could update my software.  (That's why I said above that I updated manually.)  I am the only user on my computer and I am not running it as a 'Guest.'  So I can't understand why I would get that error message (Only Windows Administrators can update the software.).  I'm not sure if the following has anything to do with it, but I have my main copy of act! on my Windows 8.1 notebook computer and I have a shared copy on my Windows Surface Pro 3.  I received the error message on my Surface Pro.  Any responses to both questions would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks much.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Hot Fixes vs Updates

Updates typicaly address multiple issues while hotfixes typically address a single issue. any update would include all previous hotfixes.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Copper Contributor

Thanks, Roy.  But why does the Help Menu tell me my version of the software is "Act! Pro Version 16.2.14.0, Hot Fix 1 English (United States)" when I see there is a Hot Fix 2?  I have the most recent update, which is more recent than the current Hot Fix (2).  Shouldn't the most recent Update have included Hot Fix 2?  Grateful for your response.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Update numbers apply to the product, hotfix numbers apply to the update level and aren't sequestial toward the product. In other words, the hotfixes modify the update level so that each update level can have a hotfix 1, 2, etc.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Copper Contributor

Okay.  Thanks again, Roy.