Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

History or Notes

Re: History or Notes

We are a company who provide technical support to customers who use our software, should we use the notes or history?

The notes would make sense as it might be more information than just a line of text.

I've only installed ACT today and training in a few weeks. Can you create your own category within History? Is there a way or searching the History or Notes to find out any recurring events?

Copper Contributor

Dale, Notes can be searched for the recurring feature using "keyword serch" look ups.  It is a great tool, but Act will find all words that fit your request and if your request is too vague you will end up with hundreds of records that don't help you.  So, to use it at it's best build a common language that fits your selling situations. As you will see in some of the other posts - notes are for learning about your customer, while history is for reports.

It really depends on what you are comfortable with.  I rarely use Notes and use History almost exclusively because that eliminates the "History vs. Notes" question every time you enter something.  When I open History, I have a complete picture of every event in an account, including the emails inbound and outbound and every document received and sent.  The trick is to set the standard within your organization so everyone is on the same page and not hunting for info depending on who entered it.  For vital information about an account, I created a field called "Standing Orders" on the main contact screen and colored it yellow so it would stand out every time I bring up the record.  Updates to the field automatically post to Notes.

Marvin Parson

Service Printing Company

Correction on my last comment, Updates to the fields I designate automatically post to History, not Notes.n  I misspoke.
Copper Contributor

Let me suggest that you do a little training with your team and use the reports to guide you as to where to put data in ACT and what you want to know about your customer.  For example the "History Classic" shows you how many calls, meetings and letters have been sent over a period of time - day, week, month etc. etc.  Then the Contact report or the Notes and History report give you a different look.  The point is to figure out what you want to see and how - further you want some common practices - but the Notes and History report or the Contact report pulls data from each.  What is the big confusion, for your users, is looking on the screen for data. If people put it in different places because it is how they learned, then if the team is determined to want the data in speicific areas, they must change their habits - if others learned another way then they must change.  The data is there - it is how you are pulling it and why.
Tuned Listener

Is there a way copy the Notes into the History and still retain the dates?  Our Sales team uses Notes exclusively to record all conversations with contacts.  Since upgrading to 11 the functionality of printing documents from the templates and saving it automatically is an option we really want to utilize instead of having to go and retreive a document from somewhere and saving it in Notes, but templates only saves to the History not the Notes.  We really only want to use either Notes or Historys (preferably Notes) for everything so it is easier to find information all under the same tab. 

Dawn
Platinum Elite Contributor

dawn wrote:

Is there a way copy the Notes into the History and still retain the dates?  Our Sales team uses Notes exclusively to record all conversations with contacts.  Since upgrading to 11 the functionality of printing documents from the templates and saving it automatically is an option we really want to utilize instead of having to go and retreive a document from somewhere and saving it in Notes, but templates only saves to the History not the Notes.  We really only want to use either Notes or Historys (preferably Notes) for everything so it is easier to find information all under the same tab. 

All the automatic functions will only save to History - emails, letters, cleared activities, sales opportunities, etc.

There is no way to move Notes to History in ACT!. We have done it by exporting with itExport, then importing them back into History with itImport

Platinum Elite Contributor

COPYGUY wrote:
Scotta said,"over time, the narrative notes will be driven down into the history causing the user to have to scroll down or further filter out to find and read the narrative."  One way to prevent a note containing important information from getting buried beneath more current notes is to date that note far into the future.  Since the notes will be displayed by their dates, the one with the important information will always be on the top.

A better option for this might be to colour the text in the details field to stand out.

For what it's worth, after several years of using ACT and bouncing back and forth on the issue of Notes vs. History, I use History exclusively to record every event that happens in an account, including all conversations, email attachments, document attachments, call attempts, etc., and use the Notes as notes to myself for next steps to take in the account, questions to ask the contact, notes about my next strategy, etc.  History becomes a record of the past.  Notes becomes the future.  It works and, as system administrator, when I work with other users, I have them follow the same patterns and protocols and everybody is on the same page.  If I run into a situation where I need to access the information in a different manner, I simply re-design the report I need or create a new report, a process which is fairly fast and easy.

It is far more difficult for sales people to operate effectively if they don't stay in touch with what is happening on the support side when they contact a customer from a sales point of view.  Just my opinion, but I think you'll find it far more effective to have support and sales on the same page and use the "Regarding" and "Results" fields, (which can be customized on the dropdown lists), to code the type of entry and the department entering the information.  Being well informed about a customer's total experience, (without the confusion of switching between screens while in the middle of a sales call), is just another tool in the sales mechanic's toolbox.