Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

History entries not viewable by other user (1 Company only)

History entries not viewable by other user (1 Company only)

ACT! 2009.  2 users. 

When I enter a history record in a specific Company, the other user cannot see it.  Other Companies seem to be working fine (tested several).  I added a test Contact to the problem Company, and the other user can see that just not my history entries.

It seems to me that this should be something simple.  Any ideas?

We are both set to:  Show for: All, Dates: All, Types: All, and Select Users > All Users. The 'mark history private' radio button is unselected as default.

Any help would be be appreciated.

Thanks

Ray

Ray Mittan

Estimating / Customer Service

Klise Manufacturing

601 Maryland Ave., N.E.

Grand Rapids, MI 49505
616-459-4283 x142

rmittan@klisemfg.com

http://www.klisemfg.com/

Bronze Super Contributor

Re: History entries not viewable by other user (1 Company only)

What other records is this history attached to?  In other words - what contact record?

Can you create another history and is that seen?

If the other user creates a history for this Company, can you see it?

Thanks for responding.

I can create history entries in some companies, and the other user can see them immediately.  I have identified (so far) 2 companies where he cannot see my history entries.  There may be something to do with contact records, though.  Perhaps I am not understanding how this works.  For instance, the original company I am  having problems with has two contacts.  When we do a company lookup, both contacts are listed.  Does it matter which one is selected, when the intent is to enter a history entry?

All of of the history entries made by the other user are visible to me. He was the sole user until August, when I registered another seat of ACT!, and began using it.  Things were non-anomolous through 9/30/2011.  We started having problems with entries made on and after 10/1/11.

Thanks,

Ray

Ray Mittan
Estimating / Customer Service
Klise Manufacturing
601 Maryland Ave., N.E.
Grand Rapids, MI 49505
616-459-4283 x142
rmittan@klisemfg.com
http://www.klisemfg.com/

More information:

This problem seems to be intermittant and somewhat random.  I did 10 test entries to 10 different companies. 5 appeared to the other user the other 5 did not.

Very strange behavior.  I backed up, and did a Database maintainance repair and reindex, it went through without a hitch, but did not affect the issue.

Thanks

Ray

Bronze Super Contributor

Try using the rebuilds in ACTDiag program (it lives in the same folder as the ACT! program).

Also, any possibility you have access levels set differently on some of the contact records?

Computers and software don't tend to be random - typically what we look at as "random" is actually a missing piece of info...

Is there any impact relating to how/where you create the history?  (I.e. - from a contact record vs. a company vs. ...)

Thanks so much for replying.  As is often the case in these situations, it turns out to be my limited experience with the software at the root of the problem.

>Is there any impact relating to how/where you create the history?  (I.e. - from a contact record vs. a company vs. ...)

That's it exactly.  I have been entering my history in the Company view, and it only shows up there.  When I enter the information through the Contact view, it shows up in both Contact and Company, eliminating the problem.

I'm still slightly confused at why when I do a Lookup > Company, I sometimes arrive at the Company view, and other times end up in a Contact view.

Anyway, thanks for your help, and this issue is solved.

Thanks,
Ray