Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

History contact field only displays one contact

Astute Commentator

History contact field only displays one contact

In any history for a given Company, the contact field/column only displays the first contact involved in said history, followed by '...'. This, apparently, carries on to reports and makes them incomplete. How can I set it so it displays all of the contacts involved?

Platinum Super Contributor

Re: History contact field only displays one contact

Because the history reports are contact centric, they will not group the Histories together to show all of the involved contacts in a single item.  The reports will list the same history item under each contact > showing that it is specific for that contact. 

If you would like to submit a Feature Request for this, it can be done through the Share Your Ideas board.  Once submitted, other members of the Community have the opportunity to comment and vote (kudos) on the suggestion.

Greg Martin
Sage
Astute Commentator

I believe I was misunderstood, so I will try to be as clear as possible.

A history record can be linked to multiple contacts at its creation, yet the contact column in the history viewer, only the alphabetically first contact is shown, followed by suspensive dots, implying there is not enough space to display all of them, even when there is.

http://imageshack.us/f/715/unledyjs.png/

In my best efforts for clarity, I have made a picture specifying the exact spot that I am talking about. In this example, the appointment recorded has two contacts linked to it, yet only the first is shown. When said record if double-clicked, both contacts are listed in de contact box.

Since reports derive their data from these fields, this is where I believe the root of the problem lies. I am trying to run a company report, and I can't afford to have it incomplete. Add-ons like Crystal Reports are not alternatives for me.

If there is not a simple solution then this issue qualifies as a bug, not a feature to be requested, and should be fixed ASAP.

Platinum Elite Contributor

A history record can be linked to multiple contacts at its creation, yet the contact column in the history viewer, only the alphabetically first contact is shown, followed by suspensive dots, implying there is not enough space to display all of them, even when there is.

• The ellipsis you are referring to does not mean that there isn't enough room to display the information but to allert you to the fact that the history record is linked to more than one contact record. The key is that the database doesn't have a field with all the contact names linked to the history record. 

When said record if double-clicked, both contacts are listed in de contact box.

• It simply checks the links and displays the names. Again, that information isn't in a field, it's derived from checking the links.

Since reports derive their data from these fields, this is where I believe the root of the problem lies. I am trying to run a company report, and I can't afford to have it incomplete. Add-ons like Crystal Reports are not alternatives for me.

• With all due respect, you seem to want a relational multi-table database to behave like a single table flat file. If you were to run a standard Notes History report for the contacts linked to the history record you would find the history entry reportd for each contact record. If the ACT! reports had the capability of having nested subreports you could make a company report with a contact subreport and have a history subereport nested to the contact subreport. Then you would see each contact would list the same history entry.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129