Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Highly unstable Act 2007

Highly unstable Act 2007

I have ACT! by Sage 2007 (9.0) Version 9.0.1.162 running on Windows XP sp3, which is having major stability problems.

It crashes repeatedly when I try to open or create a network stored database that is in the "trusted zone" in windows.  This lead me to set up a new database on the local drive to test it out.  I could manually create an entry in it but have a list of customer I want to import.  I created a tab delimited file with the customer contact information and tried importing it.  I get to the step where I choose the file type and name, click "next" and the program crashes.  I tried uninstalling and reinstalling and it did not change the behaviour.

Any ideas?

Bronze Elite Contributor

Re: Highly unstable Act 2007

What do you mean by "trusted zone in Windows"?

What Antivirus product are you running?

Graeme Leo
Xact Software - consultants and developers
Follow us on Twitter and check out our Blog

I mean that in "internet options" -> "security settings" I have added the network drive to the "trusted sites" so that windows does not question whether to open files from there or not.

I am using Norton Antivirus 2010.

Bronze Elite Contributor

I am puzzled as to how the location of the database is related to trusted sites in your browser settings, presumably Internet Explorer? Could you explain?

Graeme Leo

It's just a funky way that windows works and groups all its network options together.  It distrusts files that are not locally stored and lumps all network related setting into one.  I needed to set that to run a piece of software that we keep on that same server without Windows asking me whether I really wanted to do that every time I tried.

Bronze Elite Contributor

Back to basics.

1. Are you trying to open a database through Internet Explorer?

2. What do you mean by 'network stored database'? Is the database located offsite, i.e. not on any local (LAN) or wide area (WAN) network?

3. When you try to open the database is a .pad file being referenced? [A pad file is a small xml file that is the pointer to a database e.g. Act11Demo.pad]

4. If the answer to question 3. is Yes, then where is that .pad file located?

Graeme Leo

1. No, through ACT.

2. The database is stored on a LAN server.

3. Yes

4 .The pad file is on the network and in the same directory as the ADF and ALF files.

Bronze Elite Contributor

I would start by opening ther ACT!Demo database and see if that has any issues. Then try your import into that.

Graeme Leo

I'm not sure but it must have something to do with Internet Explorer being an integral part of the operating system rather than a browser, and I guess I should not have mentioned it since it is now the focus of the discussion.  Since ACT is also failing in some tasks when working on my hard drive I think I need to focus on that.

We're not getting anywhere with my import a text file crash.  Any ideas on that?