Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Help with Mail Merge in Act 2012 Pro v 14x

Help with Mail Merge in Act 2012 Pro v 14x

Hello, I am trying to do a simple mail merge letter where I have: Dear, <first name> & <spouse>

What I want to do is if the spouse field is blank it will just say Dear, <first name> BUT if the Spouse field is filled I need it to say Dear, <first name> & <spouse>. For example: Dear, John OR Dear John & Mary.

I've gotten this to work using Word 2007 with an Excel spreadsheet using the following:

Dear <First Name>{MERGEFIELD "Spouse" \B "& "}

I'd like to use ACT to document my activity but for some reason I cannot use any of the Mail Merge "rule" options in Word when I start a new Document template from ACT. In addition I've tried to save the Word doc as it works in Word (with Excel) by pasting it into the *.adt file and saving the template in ACT but it does NOT work either!

What can I do and is there just another syntax that will work for the scenario above when working with WORD doc as an *'adt file using my groups in ACT??

Thanks,

Barry

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Help with Mail Merge in Act 2012 Pro v 14x

This used to work, but not sure if it still does:
http://blog.glcomputing.com.au/2009/04/using-conditional-controls-in-act.html

You could always start the spouse field with " and" (note the space as the first char before the and)

Mike, thanks for the reply! Would you please show me what a finished example would be? So for example if the contact is John and his Spouse is Mary. Would the syntax be

Dear, <First Name>" and"<Spouse>

Dear, <First Name> <Spouse>,

First Name = "John"
Spouse = " and Mary"

It's not very elegant, but might help you work around the issue faster

Also a quick note.. From within Word I have to go to the Add-In tab and I have a few choices for the ACT add in: attach to act, send email, send fax, show field list (only normal fields show and there is no IF to use) and Record History. In addition, in the field list I get 3 choices Contact, Label, My Record. If I go to the Word Mailings tab I an see Start Mail Merge, Envelopes, Labels select to recipients and merge to PDF(Acrobat). Everything else is grayed out. I did a print screen to show you and the output was strange (in paint). Over every icon there was a letter of the alphabet. I tried ctrl, shift,alt + letter to see if smething would unlock but it would not.

This may be more than you want to know but it is what I'm dealing with.

Mike, is there a quick way to add " and" to every spouse field in act?

Not really ... at least, not without and addon

Personally, I use itImport for things like that because I have it ... there are probably cheaper addons to do it.

Ok.. Any thoughts on the lack of cooperation between the two programs in terms of fields being innaccesible in Word when I open a template from ACT (then ACT opens Word)?

I have access to everything WORD has to offer when onlu using Word (2007).

It would be to do with the plugin that Sage is using ... I have to go now. Might have a look sometime and see if I can break it