Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Help with Contacts layout - any good resources or videos

Help with Contacts layout - any good resources or videos

Have just upgraded from Act 2.0 to 17 Pro.  Am trying to make a clean layout that will fit in the Contacts pane without scrolling.

Am frustrated with the Design layout tool and the process for modifying or creating a new Contacts pane.  Are there any good resources or videos that show how to do this?

I'm not a newbie.  I've created plenty of data input screens and GUI ones, like Access.  But I find the alignment & resize tools unpredictable at best when working with multiple text fields or labels.  I'll grab 5 or 6 fields, tell it to make it the same width but I don't know which one will be the representative width!

Is there some way to set the vertical view of Contacts so that it will open to that height every time?  Or perhaps lock it?

My issue stems from the graphics (1920x1080) being tweaked for larger text under Windows' Ease of Use settings to 125% (Medium).  So the Basic Contacts panes require scrolling to see all the fields.

Lastly - pardon if I seem to be ranting - the help system could benefit from an organized table of contents as well as an index.

Something that would take me a half hour in Access is taking all day and even then it isn't very clean - things don't size the same (easily) or line up.  Help!

Copper Elite Contributor

Re: Help with Contacts layout - any good resources or videos

You will need to use the 100% DPI setting with ACT!.

See the following ACT! Knowlege Base article on this issue:  http://kb.swiftpage.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/26349/kw/26349

Phillip R. Price
ACT! Certified Consultant
Automated Sales Tools, LLC
http://www.automatedsalestools.com
Phone: 1-866-915-9399
Platinum Elite Contributor

The layout designer does have a learning curve but is consistent and fairly easy to use once you learn the basics and develop some productivity tricks. As to sizing multiple fields, once you've selected the fields, click on the field you want to be the master without holding any keys down. Note that the handles on that field will be different from the rest of the selected field. That field is now the master and will control the sizing.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

"You will need to use the 100% DPI setting with ACT!."

I appreciate the info but that isn't very helpful.  I need the larger text fonts so I can read the screen on ALL the programs that run on this PC.

Is there any other workaround for ACT?

[ Edited ]

".... That field is now the master and will control the sizing."

That is exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for.  Is there any tutorial or user guide that would provide more formatting tips?  

I do not find the built-in Help very organized.

Platinum Elite Contributor

None that I know of. Most are techniques I picked up or discovered from extensive work with the layout and report designer.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129