Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Help w/ importing records but the custom map has been lost (sigh)

Copper Contributor

Help w/ importing records but the custom map has been lost (sigh)

I can't justify spending $199 for an answer to one (important) question, so I'm hoping the Forum might provide some assistance for me.

I have a large (4K record) database to which I now wish to add more records. It has a number of custom fields all of which are part of the source (and comma delimited) database. The problem is that the map for the destination database no longer exists...it was wiped out with tons of other files by a virus a few months ago.

So, what I am looking for is help figuring out how to create the needed map to my existing database so I can import the records properly.

I suppose I could create a new database from scratch, import the records into that using the same map I now need, and then once that is done successfully, figure out how to move the records of that database into my existing database.

Any suggestions anyone? Thanks in advance.

Nickel Contributor m4y
Nickel Contributor

Re: Help w/ importing records but the custom map has been lost (sigh)

Copper Contributor

Thanks for your reply. I did read through the KB, but was unable to find any guidelines for re-creating a map to replace the one that is missing so that I can add new records to the existing ACT database. Do you know if that is possible?

B.

I think there is a "Bug" in the ACT! software.  I first started using ACT! in the the late 1980's, then stopped for several years.  In all of the versions of ACT! that I used up until 2-3 years ago the importing of Excel files worked the way it was supposed to.  In the 2008 version I am having the same problem that you are, and I have 1800 records.

I would like to hear Sage respond to this "Bug" in their system that they want us to pay $199 to get them to help us fix.

Copper Super Contributor

Creating a map during the import process is part of the wizard, you just have to know which fields in your source data map to your custom fields in ACT.
Brad Marquardt
realtimeACT, Inc
Colorado, USA