Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Help please - can't open database on Act!2008

Help please - can't open database on Act!2008

Tried copying a database from my office PC to my laptop - which has ACT loaded so that I can work from home - but couldn't open it - and now can't open any ACT database!!  Help please - my laptop is running Vista.

Error message:- database could not be accessed - check your network connection and verify that your database server is available  Checked the SQL server  - stopped and restarted but still nothing

Ran the Actdialog - error SQL Service Active directory could not be started by windows - error - 1073741724

Am worried I'll lose content of databases

Copper Super Contributor

Re: Help please - can't open database on Act!2008

Did you just do a copy and not a backup/restore?

If so, try deleting the .PAD file and opening the .ADF file (should re-relink it to the new machine)

Michael Kadlec
Act! Certified Consultant
Corelogix Corporation

I did a backup to an external disk drive and the I am now receiving the same eroor message as mariecook below in this thread (and another poster is getting the same message).

"Error message:- database could not be accessed - check your network connection and verify that your database server is available".

I deleted the new database yesterday which I had tried to copy across - so that's gone. The problem is that now I cannot open the existing databases on my laptop which I'd been working on last week quite successfully .  Tried deleting the pad file for one of these and opening the adf file as you suggested but it first starts to verify and then comes up with 'Database already exists. Choose a different database name' - says the same for the other database when without deleting the pad file I tried to open the adf file

Any suggestions please?
Copper Contributor

[ Edited ]

actdiag - click - ok on the error

databases - database list - keep on click ok until  you see the database list

and then look for the database status - if it is SUSPECT copy the database to a different location after stopping teh sqlserveract7

and then restart it after finish copying the database and then delet the database from the actdiag and close actdiag

open the adf file of the new database it will verify and then it will open the database

Message Edited by Trymyhelp on 06-10-2008 08:46 AM

thanks for this -but the database list not accessible - ACT diagnostics error reads - unhandled exception has occurred in your application....unable to open physical file...operating error 3...database cannot be opened due to inaccessible files...
Copper Super Contributor

Usually errors when actdiag.exe is being opened/used is related to a bad install of Act.

Have you tried opening the demo database or creating a new database?

If either of those fails, I would recommend trying to uninstall/re-install Act and SQL.

Michael Kadlec
Corelogix Corporation

Thanks for this - have joined the Act beta testing of the latest version which uninstalled my 2008 version during installation on my laptop.  This beta version is obviously installed ok and I can open the 2009 demo - and was able to set up a new database and open it ok - but can't open any of the 3 databases already there - 1 of which contains a lot of info' I've been working on recently.

Any way I can take that database off and then copy it back on to try and save the data?  Will this debug whatever caused the problem?  Don't want to copy it to my office pc in case it screws up the main ACT database on it

Copper Super Contributor

Now that you've installed the new Act beta program, have you tried opening ActDiag.exe and following the steps as Trymyhelp suggested?
Michael Kadlec
Corelogix Corporation

Thanks Michael - I only have 1 old database I want to save- and open - in the ActDiag list this is not ONLINE nor SUSPECT - but RECOVERED - with nothing in the Lock box - should I use repair database from the menu options?

I can open and work with the new database I created in the Beta version - showing as Unlocked and ONLINE -just not with the other database created in ACT2008