Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Help, need to customize address book printouts!

Help, need to customize address book printouts!

Hi, I am currently using Act 2008

I have added about 12 custom fields that I need to print in the "address book" format of 5.5 x 8.5" Portrait.  I do not see any options for customizing this printout, based on the existing template.

I see it allows you to add only THREE additional fields in the "Options" tab for the address book.  Hopefully someone can help!  I also tried creating a new report, but I dont think that is going to give me what I need as it is printing all of the BLANK fields as well, which will make for a very thick address book printout.

Bronze Super Contributor

Re: Help, need to customize address book printouts!

You can edit the Address Book printouts, but it is not in the same fashion as a Word template or the Reports...

The Print templates are specially formatted text files called XSL.  You can open one in notepad or a better solution is to check on the internet for a freeware XML editor (be sure to make a copy of your file before playing!)

You will need to play around and look at how the tags are formatted, but with trial and error you should be able to add your fields.  One caveat may be space depending upon your selected page size...

Hi, thank you for the reply!

mscott821 wrote:

You will need to play around and look at how the tags are formatted, but with trial and error you should be able to add your fields.  One caveat may be space depending upon your selected page size...

I have opened this file AddressBook.Plain A5 5.5 x 8.5 (P).xsl in Dreamweaver.  I am not super versed in HTML, I was wondering if you could point me in another direction to go from here.

For example, I searched the file for "email" (looking for the email field that seems to be included in the default printout) and I could not find any specific fields listed in the xsl file?  This is the layout I am looking to print on the 5.5x8.5 Portrait address book page http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff170/motoxchic00/temp.jpg

I think the 2 factors I need are the ability to add the additional fields and having the printout resize itself for each contact depending on how many of those fields have data in them.  In other words, if the data is blank, I dont want the print out to reserve space for it.

If the xsl editing is something I am unable to do, is there another option for customizing a printout?  ie, a report or maybe putting the data into Microsoft Access?

Thank you again!

still looking for any help someone can provide on this!  TIA

bump!  anyone?