Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Help exporting from act 2010 to Excel 2013

Help exporting from act 2010 to Excel 2013

I want to export all the contacts from Act 2010 to Excel 2013.  The button on the list that says export to excel, is grayed out.  I go to file and click export and i can see where i can chose text delimited.  Is that the same as CSV?  How can i save my contacts in CSV?  Or export them into excel so i can save them as csv?  Eventually i am going to export this into outlook 2013 contacts.  I would appreciate any help.  Also, when i click the Text delimited option, it asks for a file name.  What should i choose there?  Thanks!

Copper Super Contributor

Re: Help exporting from act 2010 to Excel 2013

Hi,

Search the knowledge base for "export to excel" and you'll probably find your answers re the greyed out button.

Text delimited and CSV are the same thing.

For the filename click the "browse" button to browse to the folder (or the desktop if you want) where you want to save the file and type the file name in the folder winow, just be sure to save it as a .TXT file extension.  It will open in Excel.  Once you do that you'll have options to map fields and select records, etc.

It is fairly easy but I suggest exporting a smaller group the first time for practice if you have an enormous database.

Mike

Platinum Elite Contributor

ACT! 2010 isn't compatilble with Excel 2013.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

I downloaded the trial for program that is supposed to make it compatible, but it doesn't work.  Can you tell me how to save the contacts to a CSV file?  When i click on export, it gives me the option Text Delimited.  Is that the same thing as CSV?  Also, it asks for a filename and location and i'm not sure what i am supposed to put there as i don't have a file.  Am I supposed to create one?

Copper Super Contributor

Text delimited and CSV are the same thing.

For the filename click the "browse" button to browse to the folder (or the desktop if you want) where you want to save the file and type the file name in the folder winow, just be sure to save it as a .TXT file extension.  It will open in Excel.  Once you do that you'll have options to map fields and select records, etc.

It is fairly easy but I suggest exporting a smaller group the first time for practice if you have an enormous database.

Mike

Silver Super Contributor

Most of the time Tab delimited files and CSV files can be used interchangeably.  However a CSV file is by definition Comma delimited.  I almost always use Tab delimited files because using the tab as a delimiter produces the best results.  However if you have data that has tabs in it then using a Tab delimited file will cause problems.  Obviously if you have commas in your data using a Comma delimited file will cause problems.

Stan

If you would like to get more out of ACT! you can find an ACT! Certified Consultant near you by going to:www.act.com/acc.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stan Smith
ACT! Certified Consultant
ADS Programming Services, Inc.
(205) 222-1661
www.adsprogramming.com
www.actwebhosting.com
Click Here to Purchase Act!
Employee

Hi all, I just went though this exercise myself and it seemed to work as expected.  There are a few things that you could do to improve your results so I'd like to mention them here.

First, let's be sure what we mean by the term "delimiter" here. If we export your Contact data to a text file, each line contains all the contact field values for each contact you have. Have 300 contats? That's 300 lines that contain a list of all the Contact fields. A delimiter is a character you specify that we will use to separate each field from the next. If you choose a comma as a delimiter, any commas that appear in address fields will behave like delimiters and split the address into pieces - making a mess of your data import. We recommend using a delimiter character that doesn't apear in Contact field data - like the TAB character. Likewise, if TAB doesn't work for you for some reason, you can pick any character that you are certain doesn't otherwise appear in your data, such as a vertical bar. Just rememebr that the choice of the delimiter for Export must match the choice you specify for Import. 

1. I did an export from the File menu, NOT from the list view.  As others have said, you choose Text Limited and then choose Tabs as your delimiter as some text fields may contain commas.  Also be sure to include field names and it will place these as the first row of your export.
  2. The result, as others have explained, is a text file. 
  3. I started Excel 2013 and created a new sheet, Then from the menu bar I chose DATA, then clicked the From Text button and picked my exported .txt file from the file system where I put it.
  4. Excel gives you the Text Import Wizard at this point and there are a few pages to go through. There are items on each page you might want to work with to improve your results:
       - Step 1: Choose Delimited, check the option My Data has Headers if you asked Act! to include field names - I hope you did. Then click Next.
      - Step 2: Choose the delimiter you specified when you exported your data - we chose Tabs. Do NOT choose to treat consecutive delimiters as one.  You should see the data preview at the bottom of the wizard correctly format the text into columns. Click Next.
      - Step 3: Optional but handy and you'll see why. The Data Preview at the bottom of this wizard page tells you how Excel will interpret each column of your data. "General" is how they'll all probably be marked. We're going to want to change a few things.
        -- Scroll horizontally through the columns and select each date, time or date/time field and choose a column data format of Date, picking the proper MDY order if it needs changing for your date conventions. Excel tells you that General will translate date info into dates but I've found it is sometimes best to direct it so.
        --  The Advanced... button let's you deal with alternate currency punctuation for 1,000's and decimals if you need it.
        --  You might check to see if Excel has misinterpreted numeric data that you want to remain text - like a part number or ZIP Code.
        -- Click finish and tell it where you want to place the data.
  5.  A final tip on Date/Time fields. Return to the Excel HOME menu and find a date field like Birthdate. You can use the format menu in the Number section of the Excel ribbon to change that field to a date so that "00:00" does not display. You can also format date/time fields with custom formats by choosing "Other number formats..".  There are preset date and time formats but it is not clear that you can create your own date&time formats.  On the Number tab, choose Custom and in the Type: field enter the format you wish - such as "d/m/yyyy h:mm AM/PM"  This will show a column like Edit Date as "30/4/2012 4:16 PM".

To much info? Well, as some have said, there are links to best practices when you start an export/import and some of it makes for interesting reading - but it's all useful. 

Hope this helps a bit!

Bob Breeding

Hi...Thank you everyone for your help.  With y'alls help, it finally got through to me what to do.  I was able to export to excel and then import it into outlook.  HOWEVER...lol...I didn't realize that you could import to custom fields.  So, now i'm not sure what to do.  I have looked at a program (quickport) that will help you do that, but it is $80 and i will only be using the program a couple of times.  Not very cost effective to go that route.  Does anyone have any suggestions?