Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Help Please!! - error message: "failed to make a connection to database".

Help Please!! - error message: "failed to make a connection to database".

Hi there,

I've been using ACT! 2007 (9.) by Sage for a few years now at our business. I am the only user. We've had no issues with it until around 4 months or so ago. All of the sudden I'd try to launch the program and would receive the error message "failed to make a connection to database. This application has encounterd an error and has been shut down". I have no idea why I'm receiving this message. Often rebooting my computer will solve the problem. It's very sporadic. Half the time it opens fine, and half the time I receive the error message. I am running the program from my hardrive, not our server. I am just very puzzled how it won't open one minute, and after re-booting, 5 minutes later it opens fine (sometimes). I have no idea what's changed from one second to the next that could possibly have any affect on ACT.

Has anyone else had this problem? I would really appreciate any help, as we use this for our client database, and yet can not open it half the time. Bizarre.

Thanks!!!!

Re: Help Please!! - error message: "failed to make a connection to database".

If sounds like the SQL service is being stopped. You can verify by going to Start and select Run.  Type in services.msc and click Ok.  Find SQL Server (ACT7) and check the status column to see if its listed as started.  Of course you will only be able to check this next time it happens.

Do you have automatic Windows updates enabled?  If you do, check to see if you have Microsoft® SQL Server® 2005 Service Pack 3 pending to install.  If you do, follow the KB article below to install the update.

If you don't have the update pending, check your antivirus, spyware, etc.. to see if its scanning and possibly stopping the server .  You can try disabling or excluding for a day to see if security software is causing the issue.

How To Apply the Microsoft® SQL Server® 2005 Service Pack 3