Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Help Please: ACT v21

Help Please: ACT v21

[ Edited ]

Recently bought two new laptops.  Installed ACT v21 on computer #1 no issues.  Created remote database on computer #2 - no problem.

Due to other issues, had to restore #2 to factory.  DID Not backup remote database.  Stupid of me.  Thought I would build again like before from main database backup on #1 computer.

ACT v21 is reinstalled and licensed again on computer #2 - awaiting database.

I did get the database loaded onto #2 - now trying to set up sync.  Seems that I just created a second main database.  Will try from computer #1 to create the remote database.  My learning curve, it would seem, is long and shallow.....

Nickel Contributor

Re: Help Please: ACT v21

You create your remote database (rdb) from the main database on Computer 1, then install it on Computer 2.

Sync will be all set up when you do that.

[ Edited ]

Thanks! --Got the remote DB installed on #2, but cannot sync.  accept syncs is checked on #1 main DB...

"unable to connect to the sync server."

Nickel Contributor

Do you get an error message when you try to Sync?

Re: Help Please: ACT v21 - Unable to Sync Remote DB

[ Edited ]

unable to connect to the sync server. Check to be sure 'accept incoming' is checked  (it is) --or that the network sync service is running (not sure)

I rechecked the main DB location from the remote DB to make sure the #1 computer is listed. and both are active on the network

Computer #2 (remote)

Checked SQL server, all running but one, and when I attempted to start  it reported "the SQL Server Agent (ACT7) on local computer started and then stopped.  Some services stop automatically if they are not in use by other services or programs"

Computer #1 (Main)

All SQL running except SQL Server Agent (ACT7) which was DISABLED.  Got it switched to automatic via properties tab......Same Resulting error message

Nickel Contributor

Are your two laptops in the same Windows Workgroup?

[ Edited ]

Thank you very much for your help and attention here.

We are on the same network at home. Never used windows work group to my knowledge.  Always synced just fine until today after re-installation of ACT - after computer restoration/reset.

I did use a new name for the remote DB when I created it on the main computer #1.  The same new name came over via flash drive when I opened it on Comp #2.

UPDATE

I did rename the #2 computer in the reset. But I did specify the new name in the remote data base target..    Could that be my issue?

Do I need to find and delete the record of the prior remote DB in the main computer #1?

Start over?

Bronze Super Contributor

One of the strange things that happens to ACT is that sometimes settings can change.

The one thought that crossed my mind is that maybe the connection type may have changed in one or both computers.

If you sync while both are in the same room and connected to the same home network, the connection type needs to be "Network (Inside a firewall)"

Take a moment and double check the connection type on both.  

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

John Purdy
ACT! Premium V. 22.1.212.0 Update 4
HP ENVY 17m, 16GB, & Office 365, 32bit, 500GB SSD.
ACT CRM Advisor

[ Edited ]

Hi John,

Thank you for your reply of assistance!

Defender firewall is open to act in private and public connections on both computers.   Both see my network as private.

I am still not successful in connectivity.  I am sure that is where my problem is, in that my two computers are now not seeing each other.

both are seeing network as private.

I am going to feel quite silly when this simple issue is resolved I am sure....

Windows defender and Malwarebytes installed on both.

Nickel Contributor

[ Edited ]

Not sure if this is even possible, but could Network Discovery be turned off on your second laptop's Private network?