Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Help: On all act!--computers is an enabled network-share for C$ and D$ - Why?

Copper Contributor

Help: On all act!--computers is an enabled network-share for C$ and D$ - Why?

Hello,

we have in out company about 30 windows-7-computers in our domain. 10 of them are installed with ACT2013 (15)

Today we found out that all of the ACT-computers the hidden network-share C$ and D$ are enabled!!

Means: All computers can have access via explorer and see/move/modify all files just be typing  \\PCname\C$.
Then the content of the act-computer appears on the local computer.

Today we found this, possibly the problem exists since years (which could be a big problem when using the laptop in a hotel-room)

It is definitly on on act-computers. A new installation of only windows 7 and act shows the same behaviour.
Does someone know what to change in act to remove this?

The current workaround is a registry-fix.

Is there an official document from STAGE where this behavious is described and the reason why it is done?

Thanks for all help and tipps

Nickel Elite Contributor

Re: Help: On all act!--computers is an enabled network-share for C$ and D$ - Why?

[ Edited ]

I'm just guessing here? I may be way off?

What exact version of ACT!2013 are all users on ? - reference   Help / About ( must be same for all ACT! Users)

Then goto ACT Download center and insure you have most current servcpk/hotfix - manually download/install as needed.

http://act.com/support/download-center/ 

Perhaps something to do wth the ACT! Sync Service stuff?

From ACT! check your Tools / Database Maint / Share Options

Sounds like a Windows thing? not a ACT! thing?

Is your windows PC Networking / HomeGroup / WorkGroup  stuff setup correctly?

Manually check for windows updates on all pc's?

Rite click on each pc c-drive and control share options.

Hope that helps - cheers FSB Smiley Happy

Bill Williams - Owner/Consultant/Trainer at Fill Staff "ACT! FOR RECRUITERS"
Manage Your ACT! Backups http://fillstaff.com/backupfolderspro.html - FREE
BIG ACT! LAYOUTS for Larger Monitors www.bigactlayouts.com
Protect your Files & Folders with Folder Lock Pro by New Software http://download.cnet.com/Folder-Lock/3000-2092_4-10063343.html
Copper Contributor

Re: Help: On all act!--computers is an enabled network-share for C$ and D$ - Why?

[ Edited ]

Version: Action 2013 Premium 15.1.108.0

Where can i modify the ACT! Sync Service stuff ?

There is nothing helpful in "Tools / Database Maint / Share Options" or "Preferences"

All PCs are in a Domain, nothing with Workgroups

All Windows are up to date

The c-and d-drive-share-options are set to "NOT SHARE"

What to do?

Thx

Nickel Elite Contributor

[ Edited ]

Note re most current version of 2013 - when you listed your exact version number, it should have also had Hotfix4 to the right of that for USA -reference the download center for your country. Note: All ACT! users must be on same version if you update one.

You may be fine? If you have remote databases that are syncing or have the ACT! Scheduler running or syncing with Outlook?.

Reference ACT! Tools Preferences to see what is setup to sync with Outlook stuff

Tools / act scheduler - or tools / sync database.

When you start/run/services.msc you will see some ACT! or Sage things running.

You can run test by stopping some of these things mentioned above, but might not be any need to if it is a normal secure thing.

No need to risk corrupting all of this setup if it is a normal occurance.

So if this forum does not provide solution, recommend you get with Swiftpage Suport asap. - good luck - cheers - FSB Smiley Happy

Bill Williams - Owner/Consultant/Trainer at Fill Staff "ACT! FOR RECRUITERS"
Manage Your ACT! Backups http://fillstaff.com/backupfolderspro.html - FREE
BIG ACT! LAYOUTS for Larger Monitors www.bigactlayouts.com
Protect your Files & Folders with Folder Lock Pro by New Software http://download.cnet.com/Folder-Lock/3000-2092_4-10063343.html
Copper Elite Contributor

Those are Admin shares. You should talk to your Server Admin about why Domain Users would have access to these. I really don't believe it has anything to do with Act! itself. Perhaps some rights have been added (temporarily) for the installation of Act! on those workstations.

Mark Rogers
Act! v16 HF5, Office 365 SBP
Copper Contributor

I am the server admin :-)

Nothing was ever added to those act-computers. They are identical to all other computers in our Domain.

The share is only open on the act-computers.

Do you have act? Can you check on your network?

Copper Elite Contributor

I have Act! (v16) on my workstation but am not in a Windows Domain.

Mark Rogers
Copper Contributor

Are you in a workgroup? So that two computers are in the same IP-range?

Copper Elite Contributor

I can make myself a part of a common workgroup. My understanding is that were I to attempt to access that share, a userid/password would be requested. I'll attempt that.

Mark Rogers
Copper Elite Contributor

Exactly as I had suspected. I am prompted for a userid/password when an attempt is made to access that share

\\computer-name\C$

Mark Rogers