Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Help Needed--User Preferences Not Kept, Getting Started Wizard Always Prompted

Help Needed--User Preferences Not Kept, Getting Started Wizard Always Prompted

If anyone can help me with this, that would be great, as I believe this is s simple fix!  2 strange things are happening:

1.  Every time I open ACT, it prompts me to go through the Getting Started Wizard, like I am using it for the first time.

2.  None of my column customization is kept...for example, EVERY time I click on the Opportunities Tab, it reverts to the original defaults and my customization is not saved.

If you have any possible solutions to these problems, please let me know because I could use any help! 

Thanks,

Debra

Tuned Listener

Re: Help Needed--User Preferences Not Kept, Getting Started Wizard Always Prompted

Hi Debra,

It sound very much like your virus protection is damaging the preference files so everytime the application starts it can not read them and 'forgets' it has been through the wizard before. Carrying out the actions below should solve the problem.

Below are the list of files that should be excluded from your Firewall and Antivirus protection.

actsage.exe (C:/Program Files/Act/Act For Windows)
actemail.exe (C:/Program Files/Act/Act For Windows)
act10.exe (C:/Program Files/Act/Act For Windows)
sqlservr.exe (C:/Program Files/Microsoft SQL Server/MSSQL.1/MSSQL/Binn)
sqlbrowser.exe (C:/Program Files/Microsoft SQL Server/90/Shared)

You should also exclude the areas of your Windows User Profile which store your ACT! preferences. This can help avoid issues where preferences are lost or reset by anti-virus software:

C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\ACT\ACT For Windows 10
In particular the files:

UKPreferences206.xml (C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\ACT\ACT For Windows 10\Preferences)
PreferenceBak.xml (C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\ACT\ACT For Windows 10)

To add the exceptions to your windows firewall you can use this article as a guide, however for third party software you may need to consult the manufacturer.

Kind regards,
Cesc