Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Help! Error - Value cannot be null

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

Help! Error - Value cannot be null

When creating a new record, we keep getting an error that reads "Value cannot be null,  Parameter: criteria" and it won't accept the new record.  We've ensured there is data in any field that cannot be blank...and even removed that criteria of some of the fields so that there are only 4 fields that cannot be blank.  Help!  Any ideas?  Thanks.    

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author Andi
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Bronze Contributor

Re: Help! Error - Value cannot be null

This is caused by Duplicate checker.  Version 2008 had a bug in one of the releases that caused an issue with duplicate checking fields.  You can tell if you have the bug because when you click on Tools - preferences - duplicate checking and validate the dropdown box for what fields ACT will check for duplicates - you will see strange fields and not the ones you would expect.  For example, the defaults are company, contact and phone.  what will show up are custom fields that are in what is called in ACT terms "a spillover table."  That's way too geeky - but it is indeed what is going on.  To get around  this for now simply turn off duplicate checking.  You will have to logon as an Administrator if the duplicate checking is greyed out.  The 10.02 update fixed this bug.  we had it as well.  Just about drove me nuts.

Pat Egen

Patricia Egen
Certified ACT! Consultant, Trainer, Developer
www.egenconsulting.com
(423) 875-2652

Follow us on:

Visit our Popular ACT Wizards Page Wizards Here!

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
Accepted by topic author Andi
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Bronze Contributor

This is caused by Duplicate checker.  Version 2008 had a bug in one of the releases that caused an issue with duplicate checking fields.  You can tell if you have the bug because when you click on Tools - preferences - duplicate checking and validate the dropdown box for what fields ACT will check for duplicates - you will see strange fields and not the ones you would expect.  For example, the defaults are company, contact and phone.  what will show up are custom fields that are in what is called in ACT terms "a spillover table."  That's way too geeky - but it is indeed what is going on.  To get around  this for now simply turn off duplicate checking.  You will have to logon as an Administrator if the duplicate checking is greyed out.  The 10.02 update fixed this bug.  we had it as well.  Just about drove me nuts.

Pat Egen

Patricia Egen
Certified ACT! Consultant, Trainer, Developer
www.egenconsulting.com
(423) 875-2652

Follow us on:

Visit our Popular ACT Wizards Page Wizards Here!

Thank you!  Thank you!  Thank you, Patricia!     Smiley Very Happy
Copper Contributor

[ Edited ]

This exact problem is occuring in 2010 HotFix 2 also.

When you goto "Contacts, Duplicate Contact" or "Tools, Scan for Duplicates" you get the following error:

Value cannot be null.

Parameter name: sortCriteria

Message Edited by ptsstaff on 10-03-2009 07:49 AM
Copper Super Contributor

I am running ACT 2009 (11.0) Version 11.1.183.0, Hotfix 1 and when I go to Tools, Scan for Duplicates I get the following error:

Value cannot be null.

Parameter name: sortCriteria

I would like to search for duplicates.  Any solution to this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,  --Brian

Tuned Listener

Same issue with ACT! by Sage 2010 Version 12.0.409.0, Hotfix 4. It happens when ever I delete a record or a lookup...

Hi,

Yes, I turned off the duplicates, ACT! still giving the value cannot be null error along with wiping out all tool bars surrounding the record which I am trying to deleteI have had to do hard shut downs three times nowThis is a bit scaryAppears to affect the records containing very little data such as only name and/or email addressAny advise

Platinum Super Contributor

To see if this is something specific to your database or the program > open the Act! demo database and test the same functions.  If they do not occur within the demo, it is something within the 'real' database.

In your database see if you have multiple 'blank' contact records > Lookup > All Contacts - takes you to Contact List.  Do you have blank lines at the top?  If you do, you can open the top one and page through them (arrow buttons next to '# of ##' range) to double check there is no data.  If no data, delete them.  Re-test functions.

Note: as a precaution - before deleting records in your database you should make a backup (File > Backup > Database).

Greg Martin
Sage

Hello everyone,

I concur with gmartin's post. For our part, we encountered the "Value cannot be null" error when deleting multiple contacts (more than 3 on average) and we had to kill the ACT! client process in order to be able to reuse the ACT! database.

We then checked in the Contacts list if there were any blank contacts at the top of the list (ordered by name). There was indeed a totally blank line at the top which we deleted. Everything went fine from the moment we performed this action.

This was just a quick summary of what we did to solve this kind of problem Smiley Happy

Have a nice work Smiley Wink 

Patricia, same thing is happening to me and I have the new ACT 2010 version 12.1.181.0 Hot Fix 1. Disabling the duplicate checker doesn't sovle the problem. Any other idea? Thank you

Alex