Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Help - Cannot share a Database with another workstation

Help - Cannot share a Database with another workstation

[ Edited ]

Hi everyone. Some background information. Two computers are installed with Act 2009 Version 11.0. One database(a) was created before I arrived to this company. This database(a) is hosted/created on Workstation 1. The database(a) is shared with Workstation 2. The share option can be enabled/modified easily by turning on or off the share option within the database(a) file. Both Workstations are running Windows XP. This file is working and can be accessed by Workstation 2 when enabled by Workstation 1 to do so. From this, I assume that the server settings are already configured for ACT to be working with both Workstations.  

The problem I'm having now is that I can't create a new database(b) that replicates the same features as database(a). I tried to create a database(b) on Workstation 2 in the Windows 7 database folder. I chose the option to share this database(b). I even went to each individual folder and chose the share option within each folder's properties. When I navigated through the server, I found that the ADF and ALF file was already copied onto the server. When I go to Workstation 1 to open the ADF file, I get the following message: ADF files must be on a local device. Files or mapped on shared drives cannot be used.

I then copied the database(b) PAD file from Workstation 2 into the sever folder. I tried to access the databse(b) PAD file from Workstation 1 from the server and the message that came up was that ACT could not locate the supplment folders/files; even though I shared that folder.

Message Edited by SpryInt on 11-16-2009 08:05 AM

Re: Help - Cannot share a Database with another workstation

-Please delete-

Problem Solved!

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Help - Cannot share a Database with another workstation

Hello SpryInt,

Instead of deleting your post, we would instead encourage you to post the solution you came up with for the benefit of the ACT! Community.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.