Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Help! Cannot restore database

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

Help! Cannot restore database

Hi. I backed up my database so that I could change a data field type in Define Fields. The change cleared all the data in that field in each record, so I attempted to restore the backup I just created. But I get an error:

"The backup of this database can only be restored on the machine that was used to create it."

I am using the same exact machine that I used to create the backup 10 minutes beforehand.

I don't want to use the Restore As option, since other users are already tied to the current database, and I don't want to have to connect them to a new database.

Please advise!

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jengland
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Platinum Super Contributor

Re: Help! Cannot restore database

Not being able to use the 'Restore' option may be a sign of a damaged backup file, go ahead and attempt a restore using the Restore As option, this will tell you if the backup file is corrupted or not. 

If your users are accessing the main database (shared db opposed to using Remote dbs) and the 'Restore' option isn't working, giving them a new PAD file to access the new database name will be the easiest solution. 

The alternative to that is to use the 'Restore As' option to a new name into the same db folder, close Act! and stop the SQL service, rename the original database (ex: add 'OLD'), rename the newly restored copy to the desired name, then restart the SQL service and open the newly restored/renamed database using the ADF file (to recreate the PAD file).   As long as the new database resides in the same folder and has the same exact name - the pad files on the workstations should be able to find the db.

Greg Martin
Sage

View solution in original post

All Replies

Sorry, forgot to mention. I'm running ACT! 8 (2006)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jengland
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Platinum Super Contributor

Not being able to use the 'Restore' option may be a sign of a damaged backup file, go ahead and attempt a restore using the Restore As option, this will tell you if the backup file is corrupted or not. 

If your users are accessing the main database (shared db opposed to using Remote dbs) and the 'Restore' option isn't working, giving them a new PAD file to access the new database name will be the easiest solution. 

The alternative to that is to use the 'Restore As' option to a new name into the same db folder, close Act! and stop the SQL service, rename the original database (ex: add 'OLD'), rename the newly restored copy to the desired name, then restart the SQL service and open the newly restored/renamed database using the ADF file (to recreate the PAD file).   As long as the new database resides in the same folder and has the same exact name - the pad files on the workstations should be able to find the db.

Greg Martin
Sage

Thanks. I stopped the SQL server and replaced the files.

I was able to do the Restore As option, which means the backup wasn't damaged. Fwiw.

For the same problem with Act Pro 2011, would a restore be the simplest way to recover the missing data or is there another way?