Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Help! Can't upgrade my Act 8 DB to Act 2008!!!

Help! Can't upgrade my Act 8 DB to Act 2008!!!

I did a backup of my original DB, then copied to my new Vista system which has my brand spanking new Act 2008 on it. Did a Restore As of the old backup, then attempted to restore from the old DB to Act 2008. It says it has to convery the DB to a new format, so I click Ok. It says:

Act Schema Update Failed.

I've tried several times but no luck.

Any help would be MUCH appreciated!
Copper Super Contributor

Re: Help! Can't upgrade my Act 8 DB to Act 2008!!!

Go back to your your old machine and run Act8diag against the database, run the diagnostics and make sure everything checks out with green check marks. If not run the repairs, when you get a clean bill of health back up the database again and try your restore on your new machine.

* working from memory on these screen shots 
Brad Marquardt
realtimeACT, Inc
Colorado, USA

Didn't work... I even copied the whole DB over to a USB drive and broght it to the new computer so I didn'thave to do a restore, but I get the same error...

Any other ideas on how I proceed?
Nickel Super Contributor

Are you using version 10.0.1? To check this, open ACT and cancel out of trying to open the database then go to Help/About ACT

If you are on 10.0.1.199, close ACT and follow the steps below:

Go to Start/Run and type in ACTDiag
Once in the Diag tool, click on Databases/Database List
Find your database in the list of Databases and right click on it
Go down to Database Fixes/Schema Update/Fix Known Schema Update Issues

Well that didn't work either. No idea why, but when I ran the Fix Known Schemas it came back and said 0 records repaired. Still could not update the DB so it would work.

But I did just find a solution! Smiley Happy

In Act 2006 (version 8) I created a new, empty DB. Then I exported my existing DB to this new DB. I brought that one over to the Vista machine with Act 2008, then it updated and opened just fine!

Thanks to all  of you who offered help!

Lou

Thanks for the info. I have tried all of these and nothing worked. I knew there were going to problems, I just hate calling tech support
Platinum Elite Contributor

Install ACT! 2008 on the old machine upgrade the database there, back it up and restore | restore as on the new machine

[ Edited ]

Hi, 

Hello all, I've had the exact same problem, and I've tried all the steps outlined above, including, installing 2008 on the original machine and trying to open the Ver8 DB.

I get the same error message. Can anyone help any further with this?

Thanks in advance.  

Message Edited by jupiterrising on 11-10-2008 10:13 AM
Platinum Elite Contributor

Just out of curiosity, what was the error indicated in the SchemaUpdateResults file?

I've also been able to fix this by getting a trial of ACT! 2007, updating to that, then updating to 2008

SchemaUpdateResults

Sorry I don't know what this is.

Also, when I installed Act2008 into the original machine, and then removed it, I couldn't install the old act again, Act! 2006.

I had to then install Act! 2006 into the new machine and I'm kinda stuck with this now.