Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Having trouble re-installing ACT! 2007

Having trouble re-installing ACT! 2007

Help! I was having trouble pointing to ADT (Word) templates on my company's server and thought it would be a good idea to re-install ACT.  I removed it with the Windows Add/Remove programs from the Windows XP control panel.  The re-install looked like it went well, but when I tried to run ACT, it gave me the We're sorry, but ACT has to close Dialog Box.  Looking at the info that it wanted to send to Microsoft didn't help.

Since then, I have re-removed and re-installed several times, to no avail.  I have tried removing it with ACT's Unistall program.  I have tried cleaning out anything I could find that is ACT related in the Registry.  I looked into ACT Diagnostics, but didn't see anything that looked pertinent.

It has re-installed SQL Server 2005 each time.  I am wondering if somehow there is a file that ACT needs that is not supplied on the installation disk - one that is normally in Windows, but has somehow gotten erased on my machine.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

Jeff
Copper Contributor

Re: Having trouble re-installing ACT! 2007

Hi Jeff,

Try Mike's nice manual reinstall procedure detailed in this thread:

HTH,
jason

Jason Sellers
ACT! Engineer 2000-2007
Platinum Elite Contributor

I thought I'd re-state the procedure here:

This is a procedure I wrote to get the most clean install possible:
Uninstall any version of ACT! from Windows Control Panel | Add/Remove Programs
Use the Uninstaller.exe from the ACT! KB 19338 (the exe, not the manual uninstall)
Uninstall .Net Framework (all versions) - this does NOT apply to Vista users as .Net 2.0 is part of the OS and can't be uninstalled
Uninstall any MS SQL items from the Control Panel if istill there
Uninstall MSXML Services from Control Panel if it's still there
Perform a Selective restart with MSCONFIG as per ACT! KB 14499
Install .Net 2.0 Framework from MS web site (only for XP, not Vista)- http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=0856eacb-4362-4b0d-8edd-aab15c5e04f5&displaylang=en
Manually install MS SQL as per ACT! KB 19386
Install ACT! 9.0
Install ACT! 9.01 patch if the previous install was the previous build
Install Hotfix 3 for ACT! 9.01
Restore from Selective Startup Mode with MSCONFIG
Reboot

Mike,
I'm the sap that Jeff Orrik has tried to help.  We spent over two hours going through your steps meticulously only to receive the same error message (13001) we received in the first dozen or so re-install attempts.  How can a mature product, here in 2008, be depositing files that its uninstaller won't clear out?  It now seems cheaper to buy a new laptop than to screw with what should be a simple re-install for any more hours.  The install never has asked us for the license, even after the procedure you outlined.  We can't install the patch or any updates (which we had installed long before uninstalling ACT! 9.0 two weeks ago) because the program is not recognized.  What a pile of blankety-blank.

gossmassen
Nickel Super Contributor

Hi,

I'd like to get a better understanding of where you are with this issue.

Have you been able to get the program to install? If so, are you still getting an error when attempting to launch the program?

If you have not been able to successfully reinstall, can you post the exact error message you are receiving during the install?

The entire install, manually on the database and then installation from the ACT! CD took about 20 minutes and came right down to the very end looking normal.  The very last screen asks if you want to view the read-me or launch ACT! and we checked off "launch" and got the message with error 13001.  So we closed out and rebooted and tried to launch form the icon the install created and a screen that offered to send or not send Microsoft the details, comes up.  On the top of the next dialog we see: "AppName: actsage.exe     AppVer: 9.0.557.0     AppStamp:453f8858     ModName: kernel32.dll     ModVer: 5.1.2600.3119      ModStamp:46239bd5      fDebug: 0      Offset: 00012a5b" .  Then there is an offer to see the report but none of that stuff is any help to us.  If I had to guess I'd say there is a file or key somehwere that is flawed, but which the installation does not recognize as bad.  As a result the entire process completes before an error is indicated.  this is a huge waste of time, of course.  We started out to do something that seemed quite innocent.  A re-install on a PC worked perfectly well.  We did an uninstall and reinstall and it failed because the license didn't match.  We then trealized that two of our disks had been swapped, so we uninstalled with the ACT! uninstaller and tried again with the correct CD.  Another error.  Then we manually deleted every reference to act we could find in the registry and change the names of a ocuple of .sys files to .old and tried a reinstall.  Every time it has completed the process to the last screen and given an error.  Then we tried Mike Lazarus' manual procedure to the letter, and everything appeared to install properly, until the last screen.  We then tested our recall of perverse and lengthy Angol-Saxon expressions.

Bob Wescott (gossmassen)
Copper Contributor

A few thoughts...

13001 comes from InstallShield. It seems to be related to the InstallShield update service regarding "major" (10.x.x) or "minor" (x.x.2) installer projects and the product GUIDs saved in the registry and used to identify upgrade/overinstall scenarios.  This information is stored in the registry at:
        HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Installer\Products\9D7D99E08A9AA7949928BAA7AB83148F
The last part is the product GUID for ACT! 10.  If you don't have the same value, look through each entry under the Products key to find ACT!  There should also be an entry under Products for the Microsoft SQL Server ACT7 instance.  Make sure both of the entries are gone before trying to reinstall, and review the values after installation.  The best thing would be to compare to a machine that works and uses the same version of ACT!.

Next, did you try running the 9.01 update?  Did it give the same or any error?

Finally, what is the state of your install media?  Is the CD in good condition?  Do you have a backup or another copy of the ACT! installer?  Probably a long shot... however, you might have luck if you can find a full-install media for 9.01+ rather than 9.0.

jason

Jason Sellers
ACT! Engineer 2000-2007

Thanks, Jason.  We will try your suggestions later today and I'll let you know.  Is 9.01 downloadable?
Nickel Super Contributor

ACT 9.0.1 is downloadable. Here is the link for the Standard version.
Nickel Super Contributor

Bob,

You also want to check to see if you have an update manager for InstallShield installed on your machine. It's intended purpose was to attach itself to ANY InstallShield project program, including older versions of ACT!, and inform users that it would monitor for updates.

To see if you have this installed, open Control Panel, you'll likely see something called "Program Updates" listed. This is the InstallShield update piece. Open it and you will likely find ACT! listed as one of the programs. Deselect this, reboot, and reinstall ACT!, you should be fine.

Jason, in the guid you posted, where did you find this was an act guid? We are unable to find it for any of the 2005 - 2008 versions, including updates and patches.