Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Having trouble entering a new field

Copper Contributor

Having trouble entering a new field

I am using ACT 2008 version 10.0.  I wish to add a new field.  When I go to the TOOLS drop down menu I cannot access the "Define Fields".  Have any suggestions?
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Having trouble entering a new field

Is this a remote database? Do you have administrator rights to the database?
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Copper Contributor

Thanks for replying to my problem.  I guess I should have included more history.  My wife and I operate a small business.  I liked the idea of having our own easy to operate database and I heard about ACT! and purchased it.  I am using a Dell laptop with Vista OS.  I use this machine at least 95% of the time.  I am also the main person that enters data into ACT.

Back in May of this year I purchased and installed ACT 2008.  During the first 30 days that I was using ACT 2008 I received help from ACT's tech support and the technician was able to set up synchronizing for me (I had no idea of how to do it) between my laptop and my desktop (desktop is an old machine using XP) which I wanted to use the hard drive as my primary storage because it has more storage capacity then the laptop.  The idea and the synchronizing was working great until about the time (5-10 days ago) that I tried to add an additional field.  Then things seemed to change.  I don't know if this is coincidental or not.  I am not a "techie" person.  Hence, the reason for me originally going to ACT for help with synchronization.

I normally would synch the computers once a week.  The last time I tried to do the sync I was unable to establish contact between my laptop and the desktop.  I checked my connections between the two machines and all the connections are good because I am able to change information between other files that I use on both machines.  I then told myself that, if need be, I will not use the synchronization and just use my laptop as my primary machine and continue with life.  (Putting the synchronization issue on the back burner and worrying about the synchronization issue later)  However, I still wanted to add a field or change a field to accommodate the additional data I wanted to enter.  That's when I discovered that I was unable to add or change a field and asked for help.

I liked the ability of synchronizing the two computers but it is not absolutely necessary.  Additionally, I do back up my files to a remote hard drive.  I am very willing to not synchronize the two computers if this is the issue that I am experiencing.  I would just use my laptop and desktop as separate entities but I need to add and subtract fields as I use ACT more and more.  This is very important.

Having this database has become a main component of our business.  Should I uninstall ACT from both computers and reinstall?  If so, will the data still be on both machine and will I be able to use it without it influencing ACT after reinstallation?  If the problem is the syncronization, is there an easy fix?  Have any suggestions to remedy my problem?

Oh yes, I have tried right clicking on the ACT logo and entering as the administrator and that doesn't work either.  Yes, I am the administrator on both computers.

Platinum Elite Contributor

You would need to made the field changes at the computer that is the server for the synchronization, it sounds like that is not the machine you mostly use.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Copper Contributor

I will try going to the desktop and make the change.  Do you think the syncronization would start up, again?

If this does not work and with your considered opinion, would you feel that the next best solution would be to uninstall and then reinstall the ACT software on each computer realizing that I would loose the ability of syncronization?  I'd like to be able to consider a plan B.

Thanks for your input.