Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Reply

Having trouble deleting a user out of my database

Copper Contributor
Posts: 10
Country: USA

Having trouble deleting a user out of my database

We recently lost an employee, and I am having trouble deleting the user out of the database.  What we are trying to do is re-assign all of his records to a different user before he gets deleted.  After i choose what user and click next the Working scroll bar pops up, and i see The delete user window behind go to not responding.  It sits like this for about 20 minutes, and then brings up the confirmation to delete user.  When i select yes it gives me an error message

"Failed to log into the database. The SQL Database Command timed out."

 

I have tried messing with the timeout values in actdiag that some of the kb's mentioned, but that did not solve the issue.  It also only seems to happen for this user.  We had a user last week that we needed to remove, and that user had a lot more records than this one.  He deleted without any issue.

I also tried creating a new user-re-assigning to that new user during delete, and was then going to try deleting the temp user and re-assigning to the correct person and that also failed.  Did this to narrow down if it is the removed user, or the user that will be getting all of the records.

We run weekly maintenance, and i have done manual maintenance since this issue presented which did not help.

 

Anyone run into this issue and have any suggestions? 

Highlighted
Administrator
Posts: 3,751
Country: United_Kingdom

Re: Having trouble deleting a user out of my database

Hi pstout,

What did you try setting the timeout values to in ActDiag?

At what point did the re-assigning to a new user fail? Was it during the re-assigning to the temporary user from the original, or from the temporary to the intended user?

Are you trying to do the deletion on the server, or one of the client machines? Try doing it on the server machine directly.

If this still fails, there could be a damaged activity that is causing the re-assignment process to get stuck.
Please try taking a backup of the database, then moving the backup to another machine and performing a Restore As. After this completes, try deleting/re-assigning the same user again. Does the outcome change?
Copper Contributor
Posts: 10
Country: USA

Re: Having trouble deleting a user out of my database

Before i answer your questions I did manage to get this taken care of, but i would like this here for anyone else that may come into this issue.

 

I changed the timeout values from 90 to 900

can't really tell when it fails as its frozen until i receive the error message part.  Can say it didn't re-assign any records.

This came to my attention when 1 of the end users was having trouble trying this from a client machine.  I have been trying it 100% from the server.

 

What i ended up doing to actually resolve the issue is created a custom lookup for any contact record with the user as the record manager.  I then selected edit -> replace value.  I chose the user they are getting re-assigned to.  I did this in batches of about 500.  I then repeated this for companies, and opportunities.

After i finished this i went to delete the user and still chose to re-assign records in case i missed anything.  This time i completed in about 5 minutes, and was able to delete the user.

Administrator
Posts: 3,751
Country: United_Kingdom

Re: Having trouble deleting a user out of my database

Hi pstout,

Thanks for letting us know how you worked around the issue.