Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Having a problem generating the correct report.

Having a problem generating the correct report.

I am having trouble creating a specific report.  Basically what I want to do is create what I refer to as a "Call Report".  After I have a meeting with a customer I enter my meeting notes under that company profile.

Now what I want to do is get a printout of all the notes that I have made within the last month.  When I run the report what happens is every customer is included in the report.  Obviously there are hundreds of customers that I have no notes on for that month.  So the report ends up being 50 pages, and half of the pages are just listing the company even though there are no notes.

So basically, how can I specify which companies I want included in the report.

I'm open to any ideas/suggestions....my job depends upon it:-)

Re: Having a problem generating the correct report.

Have you tried going in and creating a template for the report you would like?  The way I did it was, go into edit template and find the call report that is closest to what you want.  Then you will have to use the toolbar to make the changes so the report only has on it what you want. For some reason this seemed easier to me than creating a new template.  Then save it under another name so you know the difference between your revised version and the one act has.  Then when you're ready to print a report for a contact, open your report and click where it says create a report for current contact. Your's is probably still marked as all contacts.   This should work for you, although I've learned with Act you can never hold that to be true. The best/worst investment we ever made was to pay for the customer support through act. It's nice to have someone to call when you need help, however, between waiting on hold and getting a customer service rep that doesn't hardly speak English, most of the time I just have to figure things out on my own.  I definitely don't think this is a very user friendly program.  Take care and good luck!

Dana

Thanks Dana.  I've actually done that already, and that didn't really do what I wanted it to.  That allows me to change the report the way I want it to, but it still doesn't allow me to specify specifically a group of my customers that I want to include on the report. 

The two options that I have, "all contacts" or "current contact" give me the extreme of both ends.  I'm hoping to find out how I can select a specific group of like 50 contacts.  Rather than just one, or all.
Copper Contributor

Hi,

Here are some suggestions to look at:

Most reports can be run for a current lookup...So, if you have a lookup that represents the contacts that you are interested in, then you can run a report based on that lookup.
A good way to get to a good lookup is to have a group representing your contacts...It is then easy to right-click on the group and create a lookup from it.Then we can run a report for that lookup.
Note also that when you run a report a "Define Filter" dialog appears.  This will let you choose to run the report for the current lookup (which hopefully from the above, you already have a suitable lookup).   Note also that the "Define Filter" dialog always has a "general" tab, but will also have additional tabs based on which report you run.
Have a look at the "History Time Spent" report...With some tweaking, the lookup step above, it may suit your purposes.  Remember to look at the "histroy" tab in the define filters dialog that pops up once the report is run.

Pierre
Copper Contributor

If I'm reading this right try this.  Once you have your report template created and saved, create a look up that will bring up only the contacts with your notes attached.  Look up > contact activity, click the changed radio button, set the appropriate date and check notes, history, etc.>OK. This will bring up a list of all contacts that meet the specified criteria. Highlight the entire list, click on reports and choose the "Call" report you want. Click the radio button for "current lookup" and OK.
I use the same type of look up several time a month and it works like a charm.

That is exactly what I want to do!....  Except I want to do it for companies, and not contacts. 

The notes that I keep, I link to the company, and not a specific contact....

Platinum Elite Contributor

Not sure if this will work, but try Lookup | Company | Other | Edit Date
Then run a Company Report and set the date range in the report filter
Nickel Elite Contributor

hoochyglidaa wrote:
That is exactly what I want to do!....  Except I want to do it for companies, and not contacts. 

The notes that I keep, I link to the company, and not a specific contact....

You need to go to the Company screen and then do a lookup of companies. Then you can select Current Lookup when you run the report.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
Techbenders
royel@techbenders.com