Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Have duplicated "-database files" and I can't tell which one I am using, pleas help.

Silver Contributor

Re: Have duplicated "-database files" and I can't tell which one I am using, pleas help.

The problem was caused by moving the file without deleting the share..  

I would

1) delete the share

2) re share the database

3) use the location that is in the same folder as your alf and adf

4) copy teh other folder to the same folder as your alf and adf. since it has the same name, it will merge.  I would choose to overwrite anything more recent.

If you're not sure, contact an ACT consultant. There is a fee but it would be fixed.

Test Drive Act! and Quickbooks over Citrix http://GoTryAct.com

Jon Klubnik| ActTrainer.com
(866)710 4228

ACT! Certified Consultant / ACT! Premier Trainer / ACT! Hosting Provider

Re: Have duplicated "-database files" and I can't tell which one I am using, pleas help.

How much would this cost for someone to help me do it over the phone?  What number can I call?

Under Tools, preferences, personal file locations, I was able to change location of my database so it matches the location under supplemental file location under database information.

Have I resolved the issue?

Silver Contributor

hard to say.  if you have the database shared. users may be going to the wrong share. also, if you have made any changes to any of these files, (templates, attachments, etc) you won't see these unless you copy the files per the earlier instructions.

(866)710 4228

I am the only user.   I don't use any templates or attachments.

I noticed under file, I could "save copy as".  

Could I just save copy as into a new location and then delete the other items that are causing me confusion?

Then I could also copy these files to an external from this new database location I've created as a backup, right?

Am I correct here?

Silver Contributor

no that's not correct.  You need to do these steps outside of ACT. Save copy of just makes a copy of your database.

the files we are talking about here are called the supplemental files.  if you wrote to these files and then pointed aCT to a new location, you will not have these files available when you use ACT. that is why i sugested going and merging the two supplemental files togther.

these types of files include letter templates, reports, layouts, attachments etc.

(866)710 4228

You have me really confused when you reference merging.  I've already explained I don't use any attachments or extra documents.

To keep this at a level I can understand.

So the only way I can successfully do this is by making another complete copy of these files by using the backup command which creates a zip file.  I then extract that zip into a folder.  

Once that is done can I just delete all of the other files?

Please clarify.  Thanks.

Silver Contributor

My sugestion is to do nothing at this point. I think you have resolved the issue.  if you don't use those features, then you are probably. fine.  

(866)710 4228