Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Have duplicated "-database files" and I can't tell which one I am using, pleas help.

Have duplicated "-database files" and I can't tell which one I am using, pleas help.

I have my Act 2013 database in my data folder.

There are 3 files listed. 

1. file ends in .adf

2. file ends in .alf

3. file ends in .pad

Problem I am having is that the folder which ends in "-database files" is in the same folder with these 3 files and is also listed again in another subfolder.

I want to delete the "-database files" which is listed in the subfolder but I am afraid to screw up my entire database.

How do I figure out which "-database files" is actually being used?  

What has me worried is the "-database files" in the subfolder has today's date/time listed while the "-database files" in the current folder with 3 files listed above has date of 2/17/2014.

How do I figure out which "-database files" is not being used and delete it?  I thought having an extra copy would be good but now it's just causing more problems.

Please help.  Thanks.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Have duplicated "-database files" and I can't tell which one I am using, pleas help.

They both are. There isn;t any single set of database files. Each databse has it's own set of database files. The database files are the layouts, templates, reports, saved documents, etc.

The ADF is the actual data file, the ALF is the logging file and the PAD is simply a pointer file to the database.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Re: Have duplicated "-database files" and I can't tell which one I am using, pleas help.

I understand the database is a set of files.  However, they are all supposed to be in the same folder, right?

The "-database files" appear to be in 2 different folders which is causing confusion.

How can I resolve this by putting them all back into a single folder?  The 3 files plus the "-databasefiles".

Yes, the ADF, ALF, PAD files and the supplemental database files folder (actually a subfolder) would be in the same folder.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Something is not right with my setup.

The "-databasefiles" in the same folder with the 3 other Act files have a date of 2014 while the other "-datbasefiles" in a subfolder (without the 3 other Act files) have a date of today.

What would happen if I copied those files from the subfolder into my main Act folder?  Or is there another way to get all of the files back into the same folder?

Please advise.  Thanks.

I can't advise you here. You would need to have some one very familiar with the ACT! program and database structure examine your setup to determine what should be done.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Silver Contributor

try these things. 

Go to help, about ACT with your database open.

Look under database Settings info for the name of the supplemental files location and the database file location..

Next go to share and storamanagent on your server.  Under administrative tools.

Make sure that the share location of your database share is the same as the supplemental files location in ACT 

if it is not, that would be your problem

So, Delete the share from Share and Storeage management.

Within ACT unshare the database and reshare it.

if you were using files at a different location you may need to manually copy the files between the two supplemental files locations.

this could get complicated.  YOu may need to get an ACT Certified consultant is these steps don't make sense.

let me know if you have any questions.

Test Drive Act! and Quickbooks over Citrix http://GoTryAct.com

Jon Klubnik| ActTrainer.com
(866)710 4228

ACT! Certified Consultant / ACT! Premier Trainer / ACT! Hosting Provider

In the supplemental file database location I have

C:\users\angelo\documents\t***data\act2013-databasefiles

Then under personal files, preferences I have

C:\Users\angelo\Documents\ACT\ACT Data\Databases

So these are different locations, right?  Sounds like that's my issue.

What do I do next?

Please help.  Thanks.

Silver Contributor

that is what I thought was going on.  

so you have two problems now. 

1) you're writing to a different version fo the file structure

2) the share of the database is messed up.

Here is the fix

1) Combine or copy the filed from the bad location to the correct location.  when you copy, you will merge the tow folders together.  OR you can delete the one that is not being use.  Just do this withing windows..  

2) delete the windows share like is described, reshare the database

Test Drive Act! and Quickbooks over Citrix http://GoTryAct.com

Jon Klubnik| ActTrainer.com
(866)710 4228

ACT! Certified Consultant / ACT! Premier Trainer / ACT! Hosting Provider

Which one should I use as the correct location?  The database in supplemental file location or the one under personal file preferences?

In the supplemental file database location I have

C:\users\angelo\documents\t***data\act2013-databasefiles

Then under personal files, preferences I have

C:\Users\angelo\Documents\ACT\ACT Data\Databases

Then what do I need to change in order to fix this problem from happening in the future?

Please advise.  Thanks.