Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Have a desktop and notebook and need to sync them

Have a desktop and notebook and need to sync them

I have Act! Pro 2011 and I cannot get my laptop and my desktop to sync.  I turned on synchronization and created a sync set on both pcs but the sync now is greyed out on both systems.  I have been adding/modifying data since installed a couple of months ago.  When I installed ACT! on the laptop, I just used the same backup from my earlier version of ACT! that I used for the desktop.  How can I get these two systems to synchronize.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Have a desktop and notebook and need to sync them

You can't with what you have setup. Because the two databases have different data you will need to move the one database to the other system and combine the databases via import. Then you will need to properly setup synchronization by creating a remote database from the master database and move that to the laptop. 

At this point you might want to contact an ACT! Certified Consultant to help sort out what you have and get synchronization properly setup.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Can you explain how to move the database to the desktop pc?  What do I need to copy?  Or is there an Export function that will create a file/files for the Import? Would I use backup on notebook and restore on desktop?  If so, would the import use the second database (laptop) and add/update the first (desktop)?  On my previous version, I would have two databases in two differant directories and I would open one of them in ACT! and synchronize with the other.

Platinum Super Contributor

Hello Monica,

Welcome to the Sage ACT! Online Community!

To get the database from the laptop to the desktop, you will use the backup and restore functions (File > Backup > Database and File > Restore > Database > Restore As option).  Once both databases are on the same machine, you can use the Import/Export process to get the data from one to the other.  

If you have a network connection (the computers are able to 'see' each other and share files) you can then create a remote database for the laptop and have a synchronization environment.

Here are some articles to help with the steps:

Backup/Restorer - KB Article 19211

Import/Export - KB Article 17539

Create Remote - KB Article 14116

Greg Martin
Sage

If I use the Import function (once I have restored a copy of the laptop database onto the desktop) will this only copy update information, that is merge only the info fform the laptop database into the desktop database?  I just want to make sure since both the desktop and laptop databases were a restore of the same propr version ACT! database.  There will be a lot of records that I do not was duplicated only the updates from the laptop database merged into the desktop database.  Once I get a complete database, I understand that the laptop should be a remote database and then I will be able to sync the two of them. 

What happens if a contact has been updated in both the laptop and desktop databases when the import is done?  Does one get lost?

Platinum Super Contributor

Within the import process are 4 options for handling the data:

Note: Target = database being imported into.  Source = database from which data is being imported.

1. Merge: This will only import Source data and populate data into fields in the Target database that do not have pre-existing data.  It will not overwrite pre-existing data in the Target database..

2. Replace with Newest: this replaces an entire record (ex: Contact record) with the version that has the most recent timestamp (edit date). 

3. Replace with Source: this will replace the entire record (ex: Contact record) in the Target database with the version contiained within the Source database. 

4. Do Not Change: no updates applied to matching (duplicate checking) records.

If you make a change to the same contact, the result will be different depending on the import option chosen.  Unfortunately there isn't an option for if/then type of logic, it will only accept these options.

It is highly recommened to create a backup of your database before performing an import.  To this end, you can use the File > Save Copy As option to create a new database.  You can then use the new database to test the import process and options without affecting your original database.  If the test import is successful on the first attempt, you can just use that copy of the database as your main database (leaving the original database as your backup).  

Greg Martin
Sage