Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Have RDB file whant to make backup file, cant open un modified.

Copper Contributor

Have RDB file whant to make backup file, cant open un modified.

Hi I had a RDB file, opened it (Unpack and restore Remote database) and made some changes. Then I also have a backup of the RDB file not modified.   

I want to open (Unpack and restore Remote database) the unmodified RDB file and make a backup file instead, so I changed name on it but it still says the database already exist so I cant open it without making synchronisation, removing changes done earlier.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Have RDB file whant to make backup file, cant open un modified.

The remote database name is part of the RDB, so changing the physical name will not make a difference...it will still try to restore the database under the original name.  You will either need to remove the other same-named database or try to unpack and restore it on a different machine.  There is another method you can try as well.

- Close ACT!

- Go to Windows Start button, then Run and type in actdiag

- Go to Database/Database List and locate the first remote database

- Highlight the database, right-click on it and select Detach...the database will disappear fron the list (don't worry, it has not been deleted)

- Then unpack and restore the RDB you were getting the error...be sure to restore it to a different directory than the original RDB

- After it is restored, then open it and do what you need to do in it

- Go back into Act Diagnostics (actdiag) and detach that database.

- Then browse to and open the original RDB

The reason for the message you are getting is that you can not have 2 databases with the same name attached to SQL.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.