Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Has anybody tried Act 2009 with Windows 7?

Tuned Listener

Has anybody tried Act 2009 with Windows 7?

I just installed Windows 7 on a new computer and wonder if anyone has had any luck running 2009 on Windows 7. Specifically the 64bit version.

I will try it next week.

Re: Has anybody tried Act 2009 with Windows 7?

I'm running it on build 7068, 32b and it works fine if that helps.

[ Edited ]

Okay I have looked everywhere for the answer you are looking for, gave up, and installed ACT! 2009 Premium Successfully.

USE THESE INSTRUCTIONS AT YOUR OWN RISK. - if you are running Windows 7 RC or beta builds then this should be a given. 

I am Running:

• Intel 3.0Ghz Quad Core, Intel Motherboard, with 4GB DDR2 RAM.
  • Windows 7 32bit RC Build 7100 with all of the current security and recommended patches installed. 
  • Clean Windows Install (NOT UPGRADED FROM VISTA)
  • Adobe CS3 Master Collection Installed with all Updates
  • Windows Office Enterprise 2007 Installed with all Updates
  • Visio & MS Project Professional 2007 Installed with all Updates
  • Virtual CD ROM Drive Deamon Tools Lite
  • Firefox 3x
  • Digsby
  • & Roboform

Here is exactly what I did. DO NOT RUN ACT! UNTIL THE INSTRUCTIONS SAY TO.

1. I browesed Windows Explorer to the ACT! install CD.
  2. I ran the Setup.exe as Administrator (Right click on the exe file click on "Run as Administrator"
  3. When promted to allow access I accepted
  4. I clicked the install ACT! link
  5. I installed all the recommended settings - You can modify them later.
  6. You will be notified that the version of SQL that you will be installing is has known compatability issues with Windows7 - Don't worry - you will fix this later.  Go Ahead and install.  Pay attention to Microsofts warning about installing updates prior to running SQL 2005 - They are right.  If you forget, it will mess up the entire installation, and you will need to go through a long manual uninstallation process - this is why I am writing this post.
  7. Continue with all recommended settings until finished.
  8. On the finished window, you will see several check boxes.  One is to run ACT!.  Toggle the check mark off so ACT! does not run and launch SQL.
  9. Now everthing from the CD is installed, but you need to update SQL.
  10. You will need to first upgrade to SQL SP2 - I did this by going to the Windows Update link and checking for new updates START>ALL PROGRAMS>WINDOWS UPDATE.  Click the "Check for Updates" link on the left a few times until you see the SP2 update appear for SQL. 
  11. Install the update.
  12. DO NOT RUN ACT! YET!!
  13. After SQL SP2 was Installed, I Downloaded and Install SQL 2005 Express from Microsoft. Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express Edition Service Pack 3
  14. Once the download completed I run the file I downloaded as administrator.
  15. I used the recommended settings.  If you are an admin working an a network deployment you know what to do.  
  16. I have a single install, so "Windows Authentication" was my preferred choice - would have also been the case in small group network - large scale net admins you know what to do here.
  17. I click through the rest of the default options, and had a successfull install.
  18. I Run ACT!. 2009
  19. Opened my database
  20. ACT! updated the database
  21. Login successful - EXCELLENT!

This took me about 45 minutes.  I took my time and didn't have the instructions above, so it will likely go faster for you

Don't rush it though.  Let the ACT! and SQL installers do there thing and DON'T MULTITASK the computer and you will be fine. 

Good luck, and I hope this helps some folks out there.

SLATIWONK

Message Edited by slatiwonk on 07-27-2009 11:01 PM
Message Edited by slatiwonk on 07-27-2009 11:02 PM
Message Edited by slatiwonk on 07-27-2009 11:05 PM
Message Edited by slatiwonk on 07-27-2009 11:06 PM

I am having trouble, just bought new HP with 64bit and it won't let me upgrade ACT it tells me I am not the administor? Is this the problem your having also?

Nickel Elite Contributor

Run as Administrator could be one solutions, also disable User Account Control.  Hope this helps...
Richard Brust
ACT! Certified Consultant
richard@rbrDataSolutions.com

After a lot of hours of frustration I found your message and followed it to a T.

Got me running in Windows 7 64 bit.    Thank you very very very much  Smiley Very Happy

Nickel Super Contributor

I'm not sure if it's because I installed from a later build, but I installed ACT! 2009 for a client (v11.1 HF1) and when I ran SQL 2005 SP3, there were no files to be updated and ACT! ran fine under Windows 7 64-bit.
Len Kamerman
ACT! Certified Consultant

Act E-mail Marketing Trainining Course:

http://actsoftware.training

When I first ran Act installer it failed after setting up the database.  I turned the User Account Control settings to its lowest settings (never Notify) ran the install again and it worked. 

Re: Has anybody tried Act 2009 with Windows 7? - SQL Server ACT7 does not start automatically on Windows 7 64 bit.

Having a minor snag.   SQL Server ACT7 does not start automatically.  Set it to keep trying on all attempts, but still have to start it manually.

Running Windows 7 64 bit.

Could live with it, but prefer not to if it can be help.

-I have two seats and one server.

-Server OS is 2008 server.

-Seat #1: OS will be Windows 7

-Seat #2: OS is VISTA

My question--when I update seat #1 and follow your directions, specifically installing SQL 2005 Express, will I need to update the server and seat #2 with the SQL 2005 Express?