Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Has Anyone Seen "The operating system is not configured to run this application."

Bronze Contributor

Has Anyone Seen "The operating system is not configured to run this application."

It was time to reformat my remote system since Windows 10 was not a good idea for an upgrade.

Carefully doing the reformat and perfomring all the Windows Upgrades from 8 thru 8.1, installing Office 2013, then Act V 17, I received the following message on the screen, "The operating system is not configured to run this application.". 

Searching in Google, this error was discussed as far back as 2009. 

From the little bit I've read, it appears to be related to Office 2013.  And as I look further, I've been upgraded to Office 2016 on that system.

Any of your learned gurus have any ideas? 

The program runs and the remote sync works.  Just don't like that kind of an error message.

John Purdy
ACT! Premium 2016 (V. 18)
Dell XPS Ultrabook with 4GB, Win 10 Pro, & Office 365, 32bit
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Has Anyone Seen "The operating system is not configured to run this application."

Re: Has Anyone Seen "The operating system is not configured to run this application."

This hasn't been logged as a defect at this stage but we have seen a few customers who have encountered this error. Just to help us troubleshoot, at what stage do you receive the error? Is it during the installation of Act or is it when you open the program?

Regards

Peter

I can always replicate when I select to Email an Invitation while creating an activity ... It also hangs both Act! and Outlook - though the hang can be resolved by killing the MFC task in Task Viewer
Bronze Contributor

I noticed it during the install process.

John Purdy

Same ... but I can replicate it in the manner I posted.

Can you test that to see if it's reliable as a test?

Also, the Act! Add-in icons on the Outlook ribbon only have sync contacts/calendar ... The others are gone on the systems I've tested

John: Did the program continue installing after you clocked Ok or did the install crash?

Mike: Are you able to run the e-mail integration wizard within the program or does that produce errors as well?

Thanks

Bronze Contributor

Sorry for the delay in responding.

All the comments below relate to my remote system running Win 8.1, Office 365/Ver. 2016

The program continued to install and I am using it now on my remote system.  I do not get the error message now when I start ACT.

EMail is working with Office 365/Ver. 2016.

My favorite add-on program, eMailConnectProfessional doesn't work in Outlook.  (It is now disabled).

Remote sync seems to work OK.

I was able to accept a meeting and create a meeting activity in the remote and then sync to the host system.

Icons in the ribbon bar: 

Attach to ACT Contact

Quick attach

Create ACT! contact

sync contacts with Act

Create ACT Activity

Sync Calendar with ACT

Keep in mind, this is the 3rd time I've reformatted the HDD and reinstalled Windows, Office, and ACT from scratch.

Hope this helps.

John Purdy
Administrator

Hi John,
Are you now unable to reproduce the error in normal use?
Bronze Contributor

That is correct.  It is running as a plain vanilla Act/Outlook installation with no errors.

Just to be clear, though - Current environment:

System:  Dell XPS

Windows:  8.1 (with all updates as of yesterday)

Memory:  4GB

HDD:  128GB (SSD)

ACT V 17, Hot Fix 4

Officer 365/Ver. 2016

This is a remote system

John Purdy