Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Has Anyone Seen "The operating system is not configured to run this application."

Re: Has Anyone Seen "The operating system is not configured to run this application."

Have now tried all the fixes suggested.   Uninstalled Office 365 and ACT! multiple times and still does not work.   I have also talked to Microsoft and they do not feel this is their problem.   And Sage does not feel it is their problem.   I wasted $120 on a one month service with Sage as they will not try to solve this problem.  Also wasted $500 upgrading 3 computers to ACT v18 which is supposed to be compatible with Office 2016.  Everything worked until we were migrated to Office 2016.   So who do I go to so I can start using my Act database again?   

Administrator

Re: Has Anyone Seen "The operating system is not configured to run this application."

Hi Alan,

I just wanted to clear something up here. You mention paying for support from Sage? I'm presuming you mean Swiftpage.

Regarding the error:

This particular error is most certainly generated by Office, and has been reportedly occurring for many users of Office, in a variety of situations, regardless of them having Act installed. (See links 1, 2, 3 - Not affiliated with Swiftpage)

The most common resolution for the error is an Office repair, or a complete removal using a removal utility, and reinstallation.

Interestingly though, we have started receiving less reports of this issue occurring over the past couple of months. Perhaps Microsoft have issued some updates that resolve the issue in some cases? We've only ever seen a small minority of Act users who have experienced this issue. The majority have successfully integrated Act and Office 2016.

Thanks Gary,

Yes Swiftpage's support was who I talked to.    I think that I am not completely removing Office 365.   I use the Fix-it tool suggested by Microsoft.   That did not work.   The VSKsoft product seems like a bit of a scam as it says it costs $19.99 but then when you go to purchase it says per month.    I think my System Mechanic Professional does the same thing.   A registry scan.    

It just may be that I have to uninstall Office manually?

Administrator

[ Edited ]

I would certainly not recommend buying any tool that claims to fix this issue. I was merely referring to their statement about the prevalence of the issue.

Spent a few more hours trying to get Act! to work.   I  am now getting the message   "Object reference not set to an instance of an object" message after the message about the OS not being compatible.     Act does not close out.     So does anyone know if this is related to Outlook 2016 and should I try and revert back to Outlook 2013 which worked for me?    I have tried everything recommended in the KB and others suggestions including upgrading to v18 and nothing works.   Continue to receive the message  "the OS is not presently configured to run this application" when I attempt to send an email from Act.

After spending many frustrating hours working on this problem with Community boards (Act and Microsoft)  I have it somewhat working.   While not perfect (I still get the message "OS is not configured...") I can now at least send email templates.    The modifications I made were to the registry.

Changed Load Behaviors on all ACT Word addins from 3 to 9.  This was explained for Word in KB# 36939.    The improvement came when I changed the behavior to Outlook addins in the registry in the same manner.   

So now when I first initiate an email message from a template I get the error message "The operating system is not configured to run this application."   But instead of closing ACT it opens the correct email in Outlook.    Subsequent emails from template work fine with no message.    When I close out ACT and start it again I get the same error message the first time I attempt to send an email from template.   I click OK and then the email shows up in Outlook.  

I really don't know why this is working but thankful that I can now send emails.   Anyone have any ideas on how to totally get rid of the message "The operating system is not configured to run this application." ?   Or why my changes made a difference?

Highlighted
Copper Super Contributor

I'm running ACT v17 and Outlook 2016 and am getting the same behavior as described above.  The first time I send an email from ACT!, I get the "Operating System is not properly configured..." error but subsequent emails from ACT do not produce the error.  It is annoying so if there is a solution, I hope it gets posted.