Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Has Anyone Seen "The operating system is not configured to run this application."

Highlighted
Employee

Re: Has Anyone Seen "The operating system is not configured to run this application."

Good afternoon,

I had a customer experiencing this issue earlier today, please try the following steps:

Close all Microsoft Office applications and Act.

Recreate mapi32.dll

• Navigate to C:\Windows\System32
  • Find the file named "mapi32.dll".
  • Rename mapi32.dll to mapi32.old.
  • Within C:\Windows\System32, locate "Fixmapi.exe" and double-click (you will not see much on-screen activity as a result)
  • Now check within C:\Windows\System32 that this has created a new copy of "mapi32.dll". (If not, run the previous step for Fixmapi.exe again).

Now register redemption.dll:

• Navigate to the following folder:
    64 bit OS - C:\Program Files (x86)\ACT\Act for Web
    32 bit OS - C:\Program Files\ACT\Act for Web
  • Locate "Redemption.dll", just below this, there should be a file called "regsvr32.exe".
  • Drag and drop "Redemption.dll" on to "regsvr32.exe".
  • A prompt should appear to say it has been registered sucessfuly.

Run Outlook and Act as admin (See steps below)

• Navigate to the program folder of the program you want to run. ...
  • Right-click the program icon (the .exe file).
  • Choose Properties.
  • On the Compatibility tab, select the Run This Program As An Administrator option.
  • Click OK.
  • If you see a User Account Control prompt, accept it

Test issue.

It would be appreciated if you can let us know if this fixes the issue for yourself.

Highlighted
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Has Anyone Seen "The operating system is not configured to run this application."

Paul,

I'm now getting this error when trying to sync activities between act! and Outlook

I had the following results to your suggestion:

• Had to take control of MAPI32.DLL - as the Owner was "TrustedInstaller"
  • Fixmapi didn't recreate MAPI32.DLL untill I ran is as Admin
  • Went to register Redemption.dll - It also returned "The operating system is not configured to run this application."
    It did this TWICE, then said DLL has been registered.

Still have the same issue ... Or is the Act! .exe different when doing the calendar sync?

Highlighted
Employee

Thanks for the feedback Mike.

We're still looking in to the issue with no solid solution/workaround yet.

Highlighted
Employee

[ Edited ]

There has been a potential workaround for this I have used and one of my colleagues had success with today, but it only works when you:

-Register redemption.dll

-The prompt "The operating system is not configured to run this application". Appears, click OK.
-At this point, in some cases it then tells you redemption.dll has been registered successfully.

-If it does not, it's likely this will not work.

-If it does go to Act, select a contact in "Detail View". Click the "E-Mail" button in the toolbar at the top of Act.
-The error "The operating system is not configured to run this application" will appear, click "OK".
-An Outlook Window will appear, close this and you should now be able to use Outlook with Act.

Please note this is a workaround and has not worked on every PC tested so it is not guaranteed to work.

Highlighted
Silver Super Contributor

Based on a little research on the web this issue is probably caused by conflicting versions of Microsoft Office files on the PC.  Uninstall Microsoft Office using the FixIt tool and then reinstall it.  Make sure that you have the disk and the registration code to reinstall it before you uninstall it.

Here is a link to the Microsoft Uninstaller for Office 2003, 2007 and 2010

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/971179

Here is a link to the Microsoft Uninstaller for Office 2013, 2016 & 365

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Uninstall-Office-2013-Office-2016-or-Office-365-from-a-Wind...

Stan

If you would like to get more out of ACT! you can find an ACT! Certified Consultant near you by going to:www.act.com/acc.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stan Smith
ACT! Certified Consultant
ADS Programming Services, Inc.
(205) 222-1661
www.adsprogramming.com
www.actwebhosting.com
Click Here to Purchase Act!
Highlighted
Copper Contributor

I've tried everything above.

For the solution of renaming mapi32.dll, I've gone through the steps. Note, you need to take ownership of the file since "trustedInstaller" won't allow it. The fixmapi.exe must be run as administrator for it to replace the mapi32.dll file. After completing all the steps, there was absolutely no difference.

This error only started occurring when we were "upgraded" from Office 2010 to Office 365-2016. The "upgrade" was done by a certified technician (company compliance issues) who assured us that Office 2010 would still be there and would function as before. Office 2010 does not work at all and doesn't even show in the Control Panel list (so no uninstall).

On a hunch, I tried to fully uninstall ACT (v17 SP1, Hotfix 4, on windows 10). The only result there is that if I try to send an email now there is no "The Operating System is not configured..." alert, ACT! just silently locks up and stays dead.

I'll keep plugging but I thought I'd put my experiences up here. Might save some time for everybody else.

Highlighted

I recieve this message when I try and send and email.  I also recieved it when I was installing the program.  I am also not able to sync my outlook with my ACT.

Ed

Highlighted

It did not work for me.
Highlighted
Tuned Listener

Same error: The operating system is not configured to run this application.

Here are details to help characterize the problem.

• New Dell OptiPlex 9020 Mini Tower with Windows 10 factory install and 16 Gb memory 
  • This is a test system with only a few applications installed. No antivirus or similar apps. List of apps is below
  • Office 365 Business Standard, installed locally, prior to installing Act v 17
  • Error first appears at installing Act v 17.0.0.0, prior to launching Act
  • Act Demo database has error on writing email. If Outlook is already launched, dismissing error produces email with address filled in.
  • Removing Act! Outlook Addin from Outlook run Admin mode, reinstalling Act v 17 and configuring email, produces error. However, email address is blank in resulting email.

Error persists after installing Act v17 SP2 and Hot Fix 2b.

List of apps from newest to oldest install

Installed applications.PNG

Highlighted
Platinum Elite Contributor

Only v18 is fully certified with Office 2016 ... But you might be able to get v17 to work.
Try all the suggestions listed here: http://kb.act.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/38221
Also try starting BOTH Outlook and Act! with "Run as Administrator"

Those, with some additional playing around resolved most times where that error happened for me... Still had them sometimes till v18 upgrade