Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Hardware required for ver 11.0???

Accepted Solution Solved
Copper Contributor
Accepted Solution

Hardware required for ver 11.0???

We currently use ver. 6.0 (3 laptops that synch by email and 2 in-house computers that share the database). We do not have a Windows server (our main computer is an IBM AS400), the Act database is in a shared folder on one of the in-house computers. Do I have to setup a Windows server with an SQL server to upgrade? I could not find anything in the knowledge base that helped.

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author richardhuck
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Hardware required for ver 11.0???

The ACT program would also need to be installed. The most critical hardware for the ACT! 11 is the hard drive. Hard drive speed of 7200 RPM is recommended, 5400 RPM is acceptable with at least 1 Gig RAM. If the hard drive is 4200 RPM, performance will suffer, probably not be acceptable.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

View solution in original post

All Replies

You would need a Windows box, it would not need to be a server OS for your number of connections. ACT! and MSSQL must be installed to be able to host the database.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Copper Contributor

Thank you for the response.

Currently the Act database is in a shared folder on an XP pro computer that is used as a workstation. Can I add MSSQL Express 2005 to that computer and host the version 11 database?  The laptops have Celeron processors; is that sufficient? I do not know if a Celeron is above or below a P3.

Solution
Accepted by topic author richardhuck
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

The ACT program would also need to be installed. The most critical hardware for the ACT! 11 is the hard drive. Hard drive speed of 7200 RPM is recommended, 5400 RPM is acceptable with at least 1 Gig RAM. If the hard drive is 4200 RPM, performance will suffer, probably not be acceptable.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129