Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Hard drive crashed and died.

Copper Contributor

Hard drive crashed and died.

So the only copy of my act database I have is on my PDA ---- I'm using the Act for Palm software --- When I install the Act for Palm software on the computer - It wants me to do a hot sync with the pda to install the software onto the pda ----- The question is will my data still be on the pda if I do this?  I'm hoping that I can sync all of my data back to my pc?  Does anybody know if this will work?

Pam

Bronze Contributor

Re: Hard drive crashed and died.

Pam, I? do not believe that this will work as the first download to the Palm generally overwrites whatever is on the unit. I would suggest that if you are able to backup to your entire Plam just in case this happens.

Do you not have a backup of your desktop version and if not can I say to everyone that hard drive are a little like those other 2 thinks that we all know happen in life 1. Death and 2 Taxes now you can add 3 Hard Drives crash and no one every knows when or how bad.

If the hard drive has crashed have you considered taking it to a person who may be able to recover your database from the hard drive which is what happened to me a little over a year ago and it was only about $500, well worth the money.

You would be no 6 person this year who has had a drive crash without any backup so for everyone else go to File Backup now and do it today.

Good Luck hope this helps

Paul Buchtmann
pbuchtmann@ozemail.com.au Australia
Australia's First ACT Consultant (1989)

FREE Record History to change default to Call or To-Do for ACT! 2010-2012 versions. Custom versions also available.
Copper Contributor

I had my hard drive looked at by 3 different IT people trying to get this data off --- The drive just wouldn't spin at all ---- I was backing up to a external drive but Act wasn't backing up I found out because the file was open ---- When I was installing the palm software it did do a backup of my pda act so I have that now --- but I don't know how to restore it if the act software does indeed write over it.  Do you know where instructions are for that.  

Trust me I'm a backup queen now ---- One of the IT guys installed another hard drive and ghosted my new one, plus I backup up to my external drive so that one goes with me when I leave.  I don't want to go thru this again.

Pam

Bronze Contributor

Pam I am sorry for my delayed response but I would still seek out one of the external services as they are able to take the platers from your dead drive and transfer it to a new drive. Shop around though because some of these are just ugly.

As I said I have gone through the same problem so I know how you feel and it cost me less than $500

Paul Buchtmann
pbuchtmann@ozemail.com.au Australia
Australia's First ACT Consultant (1989)

FREE Record History to change default to Call or To-Do for ACT! 2010-2012 versions. Custom versions also available.
Copper Super Contributor

This may not work - but it'd be worth a shot.

Back up your Palm to your SD card with NVBackup (free), etc. - make 2 copies if you like.

Install Act for Palm and let the pc overwrite you machine.

RESTORE your backup that is on your SD card.

Sync

Let us know if it works!