Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Hard Drive

Accepted Solution Solved
Copper Contributor
Accepted Solution

Hard Drive

My computer's C-drive is nearly full and I ran a program to see what was taking up the space and it states that ACT  is 414.7 GB of the hard drive. 

index_d_1.ix is 412 GB of that total.

Is this normal? 

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author source7@sbcglobal.net
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Hard Drive

No, deleting those indices will in no way affect your database files. The indices are only created if that machine is using Universal Search on a local database, and are only for that purpose.

Close ACT! before deleting those files and make sure you remove them from your Recycle Bin. You may want to delete a few GB at a time...400+ GB is a lot to delete at the same time and may lock up your machine.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Bronze Contributor

Hi source7@s - I can't speak for what's normal, but ACT sub-directory is 68GB if that helps. I've been running ACT since 1985 and that is the size of the directory with the multiple dbs and the attachments.
John Purdy
ACT! Premium 2016 (V. 18)
Main: HP 9470M 8GB, Win 10 Pro, & Exchange 2013 & Office 365, 32bit
Remote: Dell XPS Ultrabook with 4GB & Win 10 Pro, Office 365 32bit & Exchange 2013

When was the last tiem you did database maintenance?

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

[ Edited ]

Hello source7,
That file is an index file created by the Universal Search feature in ACT! 2012. You will find these search index files in one of the following directories, depending on your operating system:

• Windows XP, Server 2003: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\ACT\ACT Data\Indices\(database name)
  • Windows Vista, Windows 7, Server 2008: C:\ProgramData\Act\ACT Data\Indices\(database name)

The size of these files is almost a direct correlation to the database size plus the size of the attachments file for your database. You can delete these files (.IX), but they will grow in size again as the Universal Search feature is used. You can redirect the index files to another location (like another drive) instead of the defaults per the instructions in this Knowledgebase article:

http://kb.Sagesoftwareonline.com/cgi-bin/Sagesoftwareonline.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=2845...

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

John,
I'm curious, what ACT! sub-directory do you have that is 68 GB in size? That is an awfully large file for ACT!.

Greig Hollister

Copper Contributor

Hi Greg,

Thank you for the reply.

I want to delete the files as my hard drive is almost full.  

It will not cause a problem with my attachments, will it?  Will they still be there and accessible? 

I just noticed that on my laptop that I sync to, the index files must not be there.

Tom

Solution
Accepted by topic author source7@sbcglobal.net
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

No, deleting those indices will in no way affect your database files. The indices are only created if that machine is using Universal Search on a local database, and are only for that purpose.

Close ACT! before deleting those files and make sure you remove them from your Recycle Bin. You may want to delete a few GB at a time...400+ GB is a lot to delete at the same time and may lock up your machine.

Greig Hollister