Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Handling changes of contact information

Copper Contributor

Handling changes of contact information

I'm looking for the best way to handle job and people changes in a way that I don't lose continuity on historical activities and keep them appropriately associated with the correct company and the correct person.

For instance, I have two years of Act! history for a Marketing Director of a company (one of several people assigned to that company in Act!). That person has now left and someone new has arrived. (To complicate matters, that first Marketing Director has now joined another company that is also on my Act! database.)

It seems I can't just change the name of the old person to the new person (keeping the company the same) as the historical records would be aasociated with the wrong person; I can't change the name of the company and keep the person the same as that would shift all the historical records to the wrong company.

At its worst, over time, I have one CEO post filled by four separate people as they joined and left. I'm just having to work from memory and Act! notes as to who was in the post at a particular time - pretty messy and error-prone to try to work out who was the actual person on a particular date.

What is the best way forward.

Any advice or help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Robin

Copper Contributor

Re: Handling changes of contact information

Robin,

To really keep your history clean, always create a new record. A new record for the new marketing manager at the company and a new record for the manager that moved to the new company.

What you will end up with is multiple contact records for the same company.

IIf you are using ACT 2010 or higher, you can use relationships to link contacts together.

To manage multiple contacts within a company, setup a company record with dynamic criteria.

Then you can view all the notes and history for the company as a whole. You will see the notes for both marketing managers.

Hope that helps.  I've been doing it this way for years and it completely preserves history.

Kathleen

Kathleen Fernan
kathleen@knkbs.com
Copper Contributor

Thanks Kathleen for pointing me in the right direction. Dynamic groups also works on Act!2009 as well which is a bonus as it saves me from upgrading <G>.

Do you diffferentiate between people currently working for the company and those that have left. (At the moment I have a list of people on screen where there is no differentiation other than to look into their individual record or rely on memory.)

Robin

Copper Contributor

Robin,

I use secondary contacts - A LOT. I enter the prior people and use the title field to distinquish X-Marketing Manager. This way when talking to a client, I have everyones name that I worked with in the past.

Dynamic groups and companies are very similar, you might consider using companies as that is what this was designed for keeping contacts within companies together.

Kathleen Fernan
kathleen@knkbs.com
Bronze Elite Contributor

Robin,

I do the same as what Kathleen does but add (resigned) in the Contact field so that I can differentiate.

Such as 'Bill Smith (resigned)'  I use the assign button to the right of Contact field to ensuer that First Name and Last Name are correct. Thus at a glance in a list, I can see the nature of the record. So I don't email inadvertantly, I move any email address out.      

Graeme Leo
Xact Software - consultants and developers
Follow us on Twitter and check out our Blog

Copper Contributor

Thanks Graeme/Kathleen, both pieces or advice are really appreciated and my database is beginning to look a bit neater now Smiley Happy

Any advice in relation to where a company changes name or merges with another - you need the continuity in terms of the people but some history so you don't lose the name change.

Robin

Copper Contributor

You can add a field to the database called AKA. Make it 50 characters and have it update history.You will need to add this new field to your default layout as well.

Then you can enter the prior company name in the AKA field.

It will be searchable in the AKA field and in the history tab it will show when the change was made.

An Easier approach is to rename a userfield (on the user fields tab).

Always backup first before making any changes. I am assuming this is a single user database, if not, you must have your administrator make these type of structural changes.

Kathleen

Kathleen Fernan
kathleen@knkbs.com