Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Handheld Contact vs. Companion Link

Accepted Solution Solved
Tuned Listener
Accepted Solution

Handheld Contact vs. Companion Link

Single user of ACT2006. May upgrade to ACT2008 or ACT2009 with purchase of Blackberry or Windows Mobile smartphone (ditching Palm OS and ACT for Palm). Use ACT mostly for Contact information and scheduling - very basic contact/time management (no need for opportunities, reports, etc.).

Assuming one doesn't really need wireless sync of HHC (a feature that is available in Companion Link), are there any significant advantages of one versus the other? Can anyone point me to any comparison literature as I have searched both Websites?

Thanks.

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author KGlennCole
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Handheld Contact vs. Companion Link

76 fields per contact - you know like contact, company, address, id/status and all the user added fields you can think of.

CompanionLink doesn't easily attach activities created on the device to contacts - because they are not linked on the PDA software

HHC has a new build in beta that also support Custom Activity Types.

Handeld Contact is to Companion Link as ACT! for Palm OS to the free ACT! PalmLink

View solution in original post

All Replies

Here are some of the functions of Handheld Contact:

Up to 76 fields (26 pre-determined and 50 user definable)
•Uses a seperate database so you can have your ACT! data seperate from your normal phone lists
Pull-downs for fields optionally sent to maintain data integrity
Notes, Histories, Activities created on device link to ACT! Contacts
Emails, Calls, SMS from device - history automatically tracked and synced to ACT! when sent from Handheld Contact
View (if allowed) and Schedule activities for other ACT! users
Administration determines which groups of contacts to be sent to each users’ device including private contacts
Automatically send contacts to a user when an activity is scheduled for them, even if the contact was not in their predefined set to receive so you don't need to add everything to the device.
Central Administration of 50+ devices (even different types) to support use in workgroups
Ability for Administrator to erase ACT! data remotely if device is lost

Tuned Listener

Mike,

Thanks. I truly respect your input on this forum. I know you're a very satisified user of HHC.

If I don't really need wireless sync (single user), then why would I choose HHC over CL? Other than CL is $49.95 (one-time) vs. $250 annually for HHC?

Again, thanks.

K Glenn Cole

I also don't really need wireless. It's the other features that got me to appreciate HHC... more fields, more info, better tracking of the work you do on the device back to ACT!.

The way I look at it, it's less than $1 per day and it saves me much more than that

Copper Super Contributor

I've used CompanionLink Express with ACT 2006 and now with 2008 and it works flawlessly to sync data to my Palm TX.

Tuned Listener

Mike,

I hate to be a pain, but...

In a previous reply, you indicated HHC updated up to 76 fields. According to the CL Website, the following fields are updated by CL: 

• Contacts
  • Calendar events and activities linked to contacts
  • Recurring appointments
  • Notes and histories
    • syncs to Notes field of each contact record on the handheld
  • To-do items and tasks
  • User-defined fields
  • Alarms and reminders
  • Attachment names
  • Additional/secondary contacts (Pro only)
  • Opportunities (Pro only)
  •  

What other fields does HHC update? I use only the basic ACT fields, no user-defined/special fields. I don't use Opportunties. Not sure even what Additional/secondary contacts is. LOL.

Maybe I should just go with the basic CL unless someone can convince me that (a) I'll have more basic information synched with HHC, and, (b) synch with HHC is superior.

I know I should try both Demos... first, I'd have to remove ACT for Palm OS and then install one or the other, demo one and then demo the other.

I KNOW I have to buy another smartphone. Soon. My Treo 650 is letterally falling apart after 2 years.. I'v lost 3 or the 4 screws holding the da*n thing together! The Palm OS phones offered by AT&T are the rinky-dink keypads... only the Windows Mobile and Blackberry units have the larger keypads for my my fat fingers.

Thanks for all your help.

K Glenn Cole, CPA  Smiley Wink

Solution
    Accepted by topic author KGlennCole
    ‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

76 fields per contact - you know like contact, company, address, id/status and all the user added fields you can think of.

CompanionLink doesn't easily attach activities created on the device to contacts - because they are not linked on the PDA software

Handeld Contact is to Companion Link as ACT! for Palm OS to the free ACT! PalmLink

Tuned Listener

GLComputing wrote:

"CompanionLink doesn't easily attach activities created on the device to contacts"

That's important, although I'm not sure how to interpret "does easily attach activities"... can be done, but with difficult, it sounds like. I'm not into pain or aggravation. If you can't attach activities to contacts (easily), then why CL? Advantage, HHC.

"Handeld Contact is to Companion Link as ACT! for Palm OS to the free ACT! PalmLink"

I can believe this... just wish HHC wasn't so expensive... an extra $250 per year isn't all that much, but compared to $49.95 or $99.95 for CL.

I'll probably purchase HHC when I purchase a Blackberry or Windows Mobile smartphone. Too bad Sage doesn't have an alternative.

Thanks for all your help. Take care.

Bronze Elite Contributor

I have tried both HandHeld Contact and Companionlink and both have their usefulness. There is no doubt that Handheld Contact has more features and if you need a more comprehensive and consistent experience of ACT! on a mobile device then this is it. If on the other hand you want to cap the cost then Companionlink is a good choice. Companionlink with it's ability to synchronise to Outlook and hence connect to Exchange opens up other integration options less reliant on an 'ACT! only' workforce. That combined with the low cost is attractive. Handheld Contact is an easy install and gives more consistency with the ACT! experience, tightly recording activities and notes and history against the Contact Record in ACT! Calendar presentation in Handheld Contact is better. Both have free trial options.   

Graeme Leo
    Xact Software - consultants and developers
    Follow us on Twitter and check out our Blog

I think I miss something.

It is clear for me that using HHC is great if I have an ACT Server or so on...  This value is expensive if you are not asking for this kind of solution that is based on subscription.

There is any solution in the market that do simple stuff?

1 - Is a Windows Mobile Application

2 - So most part of HHC

3 - Sync using standard Windows Active Sync tool

I really don't think it so hard to understand that some users do not need a super application. I am just asking for a good solution for windows mobile to manage act contact, history (calls basically) etc...

thanks

Joao