Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Handheld Contact: If/when/what to buy?

Copper Contributor

Handheld Contact: If/when/what to buy?

I've been delaying a buying decision with hope of more options, but will likely need to make a decision in the next 2-3 months. 

I currently use ACT 2010 on my laptop, but will be moving to some type of tablet very soon. Still trying to figure out whether that will be an iPad or an Android machine or something different. (Haven't really looked at options, but need to run ACT, have an ability to connect to a projector for PowerPoint presentations, and be able to add an external keyboard in case I need to do any extensive writing. Open to suggestions if anyone has any that best meets these three needs!)

For ACT, I have about 1,600 contacts with a handful of customized fields. For each contact, I have extensive notes. Top menu, I simply use "To-Do" to schedule future events, and "Notes" to type up the results of those events. So, the "Calendar" function is what I use on a daily basis. (Note: I do not do email from ACT or call out from ACT or generate reports, etc.) I definitely need to know that I can easily transfer my files from desktop/laptop to the tablet when traveling, and vice-versa when returning home.

Given my needs and my timeframe, what Handheld Contact product should I be considering that currently meets my needs, or will be available in the next few months and will be worth waiting for?

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Handheld Contact: If/when/what to buy?

Handheld Contact is available for iPad now. Android version is in beta. No need to wait till you get back - it can sync on the internet :-)

Both platforms can connect to projectors and bluetooth keyboards ... but I haven't done it with either

To transfer files (other than ACT!), I use Dropbox, which runs on both systems.
Copper Contributor

Mike, thanks for the quick reply on this! A few follow-up questions:

1. Are you saying that Handheld Contact for iPad will sync with a PC (not just Mac), since it's done via Internet? Is there a demo of this online?

2. For iPad, would I then need the Professional version, and what's the cost/year in U.S. dollars?

3. If I want to wait for Android (tablet will be likely be cheaper than iPad), dare I ask for an estimate of when the Android version will be ready? And will it be the same features as iPad version? Any pros/cons?

HHC for iPad demo: http://youtu.be/PaImKUQYx_A
1. It sync's with a console installed on the ACT! machine... which MUST be Windows.
2. $179 - It saves me 1-2 hrs per week... at my rates, that's a pretty good investment. Also needs less support after setup than any other... also a big saving
3. I think they might be making the beta open to public in the next week or two, with final release in another month.
Watch this Facebook page for latest news: https://www.facebook.com/HandheldContact
Copper Contributor

Thanks again, Mike!

If anyone else has used the product, I'd love to hear about your experience.

i used / fought with companion link for 10 years and 6 months ago upgraded to handheld contact. It works reaqlly well and is the best $179 I ever spent. Go for it.

Copper Contributor

If I buy Hamdheld Contact for Android (tablet), how many installations can I do? Limited to one, or if I have a laptop and a tablet, will one purchase allow me more than one installation? (Or, if I change tablets, same issue.)