Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

HELP WITH OPENING MY DATABASE ASAP

HELP WITH OPENING MY DATABASE ASAP

My small business use act!  And we originally had one of the computers serving as the act server, as having it on our regular server caused crashes.

The computer which was acting as the server, crashed and was not able to be restored. We had saved a backup of act onto another drive and is currently on the c drive of the new computer. However, when we open act! And try to open the new computer however an error pops up saying that it cannot be opened as it needs permission from the server. 

What can be done?

ALL HELP NEEDED!

Platinum Super Contributor

Re: HELP WITH OPENING MY DATABASE ASAP

Hello Needacthelpasap,

Welcome to the Sage ACT! Online Community!

Can you provide some additional information about your situation:

- What are the file extensions that you have available (pad, adf, alf, 'database files' folder)? 

- Or is it a backup file (*.zip), that you are attempting to restore?

- What is the exact error message?

- What is the operating system of the new computer?

Shot in the dark, assuming Windows 7 OS - try: Close ACT! > right click on ACT! icon > select 'Run as administrator' > attempt to open database.

Greg Martin
Sage

Re: HELP WITH OPENING MY DATABASE ASAP-

The files are in the database folder; pad, alf, adf - only pad is an option to open in act. 

The exact error message:

The database JFC could not be accessed. In order to access this database, check your network connection and verify that your database server is available. It may be necessary to disable any firewall software on your computer or the server.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Did you restore the database from a backup (.zip) file or simply copy over the database files (.pad, .alf, .adf,, database files folder)?

Also, what version of ACT! are you using and on what operating system is it installed?

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

It was backed up as a folder, not a zip.

We are running act 2011 v13 and it is on windows 7.

Platinum Elite Contributor

The the issue may be the .PAD file. This file contains specific database location info and is invalid if the database is moved. Follow the steps in this Knowledgebase article to recreate the .PAD file:
http://kb.Sagesoftwareonline.com/cgi-bin/Sagesoftwareonline.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=2895...

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.