Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

HELP!!! Using an External Hardrive to Access Database on Home & Work Computer

Jay

HELP!!! Using an External Hardrive to Access Database on Home & Work Computer

I can access all my other files on my Home (NEW) computer using the External Hardrive I take back and forth to work, but am unable to open my Database.  I installed the Application (Act for Financial Professionals - Version 11.1.0.183x201) on my home computer, but can't figure out what the problem is.

Thanks.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: HELP!!! Using an External Hardrive to Access Database on Home & Work Computer

SQL databases are linked to the machine name. They can't be used in the way you're trying
Bronze Contributor

Re: HELP!!! Using an External Hardrive to Access Database on Home & Work Computer

I clicked past your response as what I expected, they had a thought.

Can the same external HDD be used for both the office and then in a seperate directory or partition also hold the synch'd data?  I'm sure I'm overlooking something very basic, but I wanted to put the question out there just the same. 

John Purdy
ACT! Premium 2016 (V. 18)
Main: HP 9470M 8GB, Win 10 Pro, & Exchange 2013 & Office 365, 32bit
Remote: Dell XPS Ultrabook with 4GB & Win 10 Pro, Office 365 32bit & Exchange 2013

Jay

So what is the best solution if I'm using just my home and work computer?  Both computers are stand-alones, and not connected to any network.  What is the easiest solution in order to update the database on both computers?

Jay

YES

Jay

Excuse my ignorance, but I have no idea what Hamachi is.