Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

HELP! Flag contacts I have sent an email to already using a text file list of emails associated with said contacts!

HELP! Flag contacts I have sent an email to already using a text file list of emails associated with said contacts!

[ Edited ]

hi there!

I have a database in act! and in that database is 50 email contacts out of a total of several thousand. I have sent emails to those 50 using a 3rd party program that works well for sending email. Now I have a list of those emails in a text file and I'd like to use that text file to tell act that I have sent those people an email. Is there a way to do an operation where act! will automatically flag those contacts in the database, reflecting that I have sent them an email already? I just need act to know that i have sent those people an email, i imagine there must be a way to update a group of contacts in act based on a list of email addresses. All act needs to do is step through each email on the list and mark the associated contact with a flag that signifies that an email was sent to them. I can't do this manually it's impossible it would take forever.

as always thanks for your help!

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: HELP! Flag contacts I have sent an email to already using a text file list of emails associated with said contacts!

I believe that you could use a third party utility like Oakmerge to do the update that you want. The ACT! program doesn't have any such built in capability. In most cases you would want to create a group of those contacts for future reference before sending the emails. Another alternative would be to use the built in link in the ACT! program to Swiftpage Email to do bulk emailings.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Re: HELP! Flag contacts I have sent an email to already using a text file list of emails associated with said contacts!

I have a related question... I use Act 2013 and the built in swiftpage email marketing.  I have targeted groups setup in Act that I send email blasts to.  My problem is that we are constantly adding new contacts to these groups and I cannot seem to find a way to filter the contacts in the group to find only the ones that HAVE NOT received our last email...

Act does automatically record the email blast in the contact history.  but I can't figure out how to narrow a lookup by filtering out the contacts that already received the "XYZ Special Promo" email...

To Summarize, I want to create a lookup from a group and then filter out the contacts that were already sent my previous marketing email... 

Please help.  Thanks!

Bronze Contributor

To have groups automatically pick up new eMail addresses because of new contacts being added, I would recommend using dynamic groups instead of a regular group.

Then add a yes/no field to the contact indicating whether or not they are to be included in the eMail group. 

This is the best way to handle this without knowing more about how a new contact would be meet the criteria to be added. 

Hope this helps.

John Purdy
ACT! Premium 2016 (V. 18)
Main: HP 9470M 8GB, Win 10 Pro, & Exchange 2013 & Office 365, 32bit
Remote: Dell XPS Ultrabook with 4GB & Win 10 Pro, Office 365 32bit & Exchange 2013

Thanks John,

I should mention that the group I need to filter is dynamic group.  The group criteria is setup to dynamicaly add any contact that is updated or added AND contains an email address.  The problem is that I want to send the new contacts that have been added to this group the same email I already sent to the previous contacts within the group Wwithout sending duplicate emails to the older existing contacts).  So far, I have been un able to figure out how to narrow a lookup based on email history... Is this possible?  It seems like it should be but I cannot find the solution.  Thanks again.

Bronze Contributor

That really shouldn't be too difficult, but you will need two dynamic groups.

The first group remains as you have it.

Then copy that advanced search and add a qualifier that restricts the lookup to creation date of on or before a certain date.  You will have to edit that field each time you run that dynamic lookup.  I am assuming that you do not have any consistency on when you would want to send the eMails to the recently added. 

So you would add an additional line to the advanced lookup:

create date Equal To(=) M/D/Y

Make sure you add the appropriate parentheses depending on how the base dynamic lookup is done.

Hope that helps.

John Purdy
Remote: Dell XPS Ultrabook with 4GB & Win 10 Pro, Office 365 32bit & Exchange 2013

Thanks for helping and being so creative John... here is my other issue:  I have multiple remote users in the field that are adding contacts to the database and then syncing randomly when they check into the office.  That produces a series of random contact creation dates that could have occurred before or after the last email blast. 

I have also experimented with filtering by the "edit date" but I run into the same problem.  I could probably create a new field and lable it "Last Email Sent" and just globally populate that field with the an email subject, like "May Promo" and then just filter the list that way.  I would have to edit that field after each email blast.  This is the best solution I can think of for now.

The thing is that Swiftpage automatically updates the history of each contact that you sent the email to.  I should just be able to create a lookup from my email group and then just narrow the lookup by filtering out the contacts by [email sent] on [Date] to eliminate hose contacts that alreqady had the email blast sent.  Am I missing something?

Thanks again!

Bronze Contributor

I have a couple of more ideas.

1.  Add a field to the contact screen that is mandatory to be completed as either a date or text box.  In the box you could put the last date that an eMail was sent (which is possible before a contact is created.  Or a mandatory text field with a list of pre-defined drop downs that would meet the dynamic group lookup. 

2.  Spend less time worrying about if a customer gets the same eMail twice.  Turn this into a positive and do a comment in the eMail that talks about the rapid growth of your company, and from time to time it is possible that you may receive the same eMail twice.  You hope they understand as you are working as fast as you can to keep your records up to date.  You would rather err on the side of sending you information twice instead of not sending it at all.

Other than that, you might need to consider the help of one of the more learned gurus on the board who can provide a recommendation on a addon or the services of an Act Consultant. 

Good luck.

John Purdy

Thanks John, I am implementing option number 1 for now.  It will work but it just requires a few extra steps.