Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

HELP!! Doing bulk mail merges is causing my ACT Email and Outlook to crash.

HELP!! Doing bulk mail merges is causing my ACT Email and Outlook to crash.

Hello,

I've encountered this issue before, but sadly my company can no longer afford a support contract, so I can't just call up and get this resolved.  I do bulk emails as part of my company responsibilities (in other words, I do a query, then using ACT! email I select the contacts I want to send to and send the email).  It is something I have to do on a regular basis.  The problem is, every time my computer updates itself, my preferences or something get reset, and then I cannot send out these bulk emails because they cause both ACT Email and Outlook to crash.  It is not an option for me to break them down into a bunch of emails, because just five recipients will cause the system to crash.  Oh, and this is not Outlook Express, it's just regular Microsoft Outlook.  Please someone give me a hand, I have tried re-setting my preferences, but to no avail.  I really need some help!

Platinum Super Contributor

Re: HELP!! Doing bulk mail merges is causing my ACT Email and Outlook to crash.

I recommend that you run 'Detect and Repair' in the Outlook program, it is found under the Outlook Help menu.  If you have Outlook 2007, it is called Office Diagnostics.  It is recommended that you have your Office install disk on hand before initiating this process in case it needs to copy any files.

I also recommend that you clean out your Temporary files folder.  It can be accessed by clicking on the Windows 'Start' button, select Run and enter the command '%temp%'.  For a Vista or Windows7 computer, click on Start and enter the command '%temp%' into the Search area. 

Greg Martin
Sage

Thank you, Greg.  I appreciate the help.  Unfortunately, I can tell you with certainty that this has nothing to do with Outlook.  When I use Outlook on its own, it works fine.  I could do an entire bulk from Outlook and the program wouldn't even stutter.  It is an issue with ACT! Email.  At least 2-3 times in the past, I have called Act Technical support about this issue, and they have been able to fix it.  I thought they simply eliminated the preferences I had before, but obviously they also put something in the folders when they reset them, and I have no idea what it is.  Smiley Sad

You mentioned having reset the Preferences, but didn't mention how.  The best way is to manually rename (or delete) the Preference file and it's backups. 

Here is a link to a Knowledgebase article that has a section describing the steps for manually deleting these files:

http://kb.sagesoftwareonline.com/cgi-bin/sagesoftwareonline.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=2104...

You have to make sure that the BAK files are removed also, or they will reload a copy of the old Preferences.

Greg Martin
Sage

I followed the steps in the knowledgebase article...I went in and renamed the BAK file, but it didn't seem to have any effect on this problem.  Any suggestions?  Sorry, not trying to be a pain.

[ Edited ]

Just to make sure - did you rename the BAK files and the Preferences.xml file?  You'll need to do this with Act closed and when you reopen Act do you get the 'Getting Started' wizard?

Added - meant to say 'Preferences folder' instead of 'Preferences.xml file'.

Message Edited by gmartin on 02-03-2010 12:17 PM
Greg Martin
Sage

I didn't see that in the steps.  So I rename the preferences folder?  What do I call it?  And do I make a new folder or will ACT do that automatically?
Bronze Elite Contributor

Jamie,

A quick way to test is to log in as a different Windows User, then logon to ACT! as the same user that you normaly log on as.

Then run your mail merge and see how that performs. If it is OK then you know that there is either a problem with the Windows user profile OR there is a problem with the preferences for that ACT! user.  

Graeme Leo
Xact Software - consultants and developers
Follow us on Twitter and check out our Blog

For the Preferences folder question > you can rename it by adding 'old' to the end.  Act will recreate the folder when you reopen the program and go through the Setup Wizard.

Greg Martin
Sage
Tuned Listener

This is an Act problem- it has nothing to do w/ Outlook.....Act does not play well w/ Outlook and Act's e mail system sucks (btw, I have used Act since the DOS days and love it...however, for some reason, the programers don't get just how critical a good email system is!!!) 

The good news is there is a fix, the bad news is u have to buy it from Northwoods (see their web site).  The Northwoods add-on works GREAT...

I tried for a year (with ACT tech support too!) to configure ACT to do smooth mass emails, and it just won't do it...there is one thing u can do that may help a little...double ck all of your e mail addresses in Act and make sure ther are no spaces before the address and that all of them are is proper e mail foremat....if there are spaces or ANY irregularities, Act just stops the merge..... I'm not sure of the background of the "tech guys" responding on this site....but all the BS they are putting u thru is because they really don't understand the weird glitches deep within the program.....u can try the Northwoods add on for free....then you'll wonder why the Act programers don't get their act together and fix this long standing problem.....Good Luck !!