Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

HELP!! Doing bulk mail merges is causing my ACT Email and Outlook to crash.

Platinum Super Contributor

Re: HELP!! Doing bulk mail merges is causing my ACT Email and Outlook to crash.

Hey Jaime,

The next step requires unregistering the Act email program and then re-registering it, and deleting your Preferences again,.  You wil need to open a DOS command box to enter the unregister/re-register commands. 

1. close Act

2. open a DOS command box > click on Windows Start button > select Run > enter the command 'CMD' > click OK and DOS window will open

3. within the DOS window enter: 'cd c:\program files\act\act for windows' (this will change the prompt from Documents and Settings to the path specified)

4. enter the following commands 1 at a time:

•  actemail -unregserver
  •  regasm /unregister Act.Framework.Interop.dll
  •  regasm /unregister Act.Application.Interop.dll
  •  regasm /codebase Act.Application.Interop.dll
  •  regasm /codebase Act.Framework.Interop.dll
  •  actemail -regserver

5. close the DOS window by clicking on the upper right hand x

6. delete/rename the Preference files/folder

Open Act! and test email functions.

If you are uncomfortable with these commands, you can get the same effect by uninstalling and reinstall Act!.  I recommend trying the commands first, much faster. 

Note: I agree with Graeme (GLeo) - you should try using the Mail Merge option, which will create an individualized email for each person you are emailing.  No one will see who else is receiving the email and it will addressed directly to the individual (opposed to CC or BCC). 

Greg Martin
Sage

Thank you.  Unfotunately, how we do bulk mails is really not my call to adjust the procedures.  It isn't my company.  It's something only my boss has say over.  I can mention it to him, but it's up to him as to whether he will use that option or continue to use BCC.  The problem is only my computer seems to do this when it comes to the ACT! Email feature.  When the other person in the office who does bulks uses her computer, she can BCC and has no problem sending out emails to our entire client base. 

As for uninstalling and re-installing ACT! or unregistering it, that's really not something I'm in a position to do as the ACT! database I use is a shared copy that the entire office uses.  I don't think they'd be happy with me if I uninstalled ACT! from our server altogether lol.  Also, I don't recall an uninstall or unregister ever being part of the process when tech support did it, and I think I would recall something like that, though I admit I could have missed it.  There's no way I'm going to be able to do this much work every single time my computer does an update in any case, so if this is what it will take, I will have to pursue other options.  Thank you for all your help and opinions.  I appreciate them.

Jaime27Light

Platinum Super Contributor

Sorry I wasn't clear - these steps are only for your workstation - you wouldn't have to do them to the server or other workstations.

Greg Martin
Sage
Highlighted
Tuned Listener

Jamie- fyi  I did what Greg suggested and it didn't hurt anything at all...I'm not sure if it fixed it yet..my next e mail blast is going out next week....the key for me was to manually remove/rename the Preferences folder and files...every time I did it thru ActDiag, it left one or 2...good luck !!!