Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

HELP!! Doing bulk mail merges is causing my ACT Email and Outlook to crash.

Bronze Elite Contributor

Re: HELP!! Doing bulk mail merges is causing my ACT Email and Outlook to crash.

In ACT's defence. Are you surprised that if you don't have the correct data in ACT! then it will likely cause a problem?

An email address has very specific syntax, it needs to be right. I use both Northwoods and ACT! email in ACT! 2009 and ACT! 2010, both work well. 

Graeme Leo
Xact Software - consultants and developers
Follow us on Twitter and check out our Blog

My boss may be interested in this fix if it is inexpensive enough.  Is the fix compatible with ACT 2007?  This is the version my company has.  Also, I did a search but I can't seem to find the company website you mentioned.  Can you please tell me where to find it?

Thx.

Tuned Listener

Tuned Listener

Gleo- that is of course true.....I am interested how u used the e mail in Act...one or two emails work fine...it's the merging of many records that doesn't work....that's why Northwoods sells one that does work.....if the Act one worked, there would be no need for Northwoods'...if I am wrong and u have done mass email merges out of Act thru Outlook, I'd love to know exactly how...
Bronze Elite Contributor

Dear Anonymous...

I send up to 150 emails, direct from ACT!'s email merge facility and operate it in a very conventional manner and it works just fine. Beyond that number I prefer Northwoods rather than than fill Outlook Sent box with 150 sent emails. I also get to control precisely when that email goes and in what volume bursts. Northwoods uses an smtp service independent of Outlook in my setup. As it happens I find Northwoods has a good html editor and overall is a smother more capacious system for a large email send. I can also set it to run at the time that I choose.

In summary they both have their place.   

Graeme Leo

Tuned Listener

Gleo - Thanks for the response- my e mail merges are always larger than 150..maybe that's my issue....however, the Northwoods add on solves the "Act problem"...I wish the Act programers would fix it once and for all so we didn't need to buy add ons.....

Thank you, I found it.  It's actually called Mail Merge, duh!  How basic can you get?  *laughs at self's own stupidity*

My bulks are far larger than 150 too, and my email system is crashing when there are only 4-5 contacts in the Send To Box.  I also make heavy use of the BCC function, because we don't want to compromise our client's privacy.  Sorry, but I think I'm going to try the preferrences solution that was suggested and then look into the Northwoods add-on if this fails.  Thank you everyone for your input.

Greg, I thank you for your help.  I cleared my preferences, using the ACT! diagnostic tool.  I renamed the .BAK file, and I renamed the preferences folder.  I went through the getting started wizard, and ACT! did not create a new preferences file, nor does anything appear to have changed.  I would be grateful for any further suggestions.

Thx,

Jaime27Light

Highlighted
Bronze Elite Contributor

Rather than Bcc why don't you use ACT! Mail Merge which is designed to do what you want?

Graeme Leo