Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

HELP Database Files

HELP Database Files

Hello All

Please could anyone help with the following problem.

I recently left the company I was working for and wanted to make sure I hadn't left any personal files on my laptop. I carried out an internet search and followed the instructions to delete temporary files. In doing so I think I have deleted some files associated with the Act database. My employer is now accusing me of taking a copy! which I did not.

the ADF file and .alf file shows they were last modified on the date I deleted the temporary files. No other ACT folders show  any activity.

I have 2 questions.

1) Is it possible that in deleting the temporary files it has somehow updated the last modified date of the ADF and .alf files

1) If I had taken a copy (which I didn't!) would this give me all the data required to somehow be able to extract the database contacts or open the database in another version of ACT?

Many thanks in advance for your help.

Re: HELP Database Files

Hi Marco,

From what it sounds like you may have a remote database on you machine, if this is the case you may have deleted the Database files (Attachments/Templates). you will also need to remove the ADF/ALF files as they contain the Contact information

This article provides steps to remove the remaining files: 14139 How to delete an Act! database 

If you do not have a remote database and the ADF/ALF files are not directly stored on your own PC, you should not have any concern.

Thanks

Daniel Horn

Bronze Elite Contributor

If ACT is in your startup programs then just by switching on the PC and logging on to windows it will have updated those files.

Many thanks for your help. Sorry should have mentioned I was working on a remote database, so am not sure if this makes a big difference.

I believe they might start to get litigious and need to understand what I might have done in error.

Thanks again.

Bronze Elite Contributor

[ Edited ]

To answer another part of your question - the database files on their own would not allow access to the information they contain. (ADF and ALF)

You would need to install a version of ACT to access the files.

The fact that the date on the files was changed is not proof of any specific action.

Thanks ch1p, I might be forced to get verified expert advice at some point in the future, do you know of an IT company with expertise in ACT that might be able to assist me?

Cheers. 

Platinum Elite Contributor

Some additional points to be aware of. 1) Copying fileswon't change the modified date. 2) It's not easy theo copy the ADF and ALF files because the SQL server opens the files at boot time and in most cases open files can't be copied. A special procedure is needed to copy those files. 3) As a remote database it may be set for auto synchronization which would change the modified date. 4) Scheduled routine ACT! database maintenance could possibly change the modified date. 5)There are logs available in ACT! to track some but no all actions in the program. Hope this gives you some extra ammunition.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Hello Roy

Thank you for the information. 

Assuming I had copied them, would it be correct to say that I still wouldn't be able to get access to the contacts contained within them anyway?

Platinum Elite Contributor

Not readily but yes there is a tool that would allow you to access the data in those files. I won't elaborate but it can be done. It's mainly for recovering a damaged database.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129