Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

HELP!!! Can't connect to database despite following all KB articles. Getting deseperate.

Tuned Listener

HELP!!! Can't connect to database despite following all KB articles. Getting deseperate.

Hi,

just bought a new laptop and it came with Vista Business 32bit.

I have installed Act! 2008 and everything went smoothly during install process.

Installed also the SP3.

Now, when I try to open any database, including the demo one, I end up with "The Database <name> could not be accessed"

Then I followed all instructions from these forums, all KB articles available on the Act web site.

Everything is ok.

Firewall disabled, ActSage.exe added to full access, SQL Server as well.

Services are up and running, SQL Server Browser is up, and even  SQL Server (ACT7) is up and running.

ActDiag is of no help as it immediately stops with an error "Could no connect to the SQL Server Instance", so I can't even connect to any database.

I'm not sharing anything as this works locally on my machine.

Then I have tried to rename the USPreferences206.xml and preferenceBak.xml files to relaunch the Act setup Wizard. 

Again, of no help.

Then I checked the .PAD file, changed the IP address, tried to open the AFD file instead. Nothing helps.

I wanted to check with Act! support, but as always, not available (always amazed that there is NO support at all except  if you pay for it).

I tried to uninstall everything, used the Act removal tool, cleaned up the registry, remove MSSQL, removed the MSXML, reinstalled everything, still the same problem.

Any help would really be welcome

(I was actually thinking about upgrading from 2008 to 2009 but if I can't even use the basic feature and open a single database... what's the point?)

Of course I have administrator rights and have allowed Full Control on each file and directory.

Any clue?

Thanks for any help.

Steve JORDI

Re: HELP!!! Can't connect to database despite following all KB articles. Getting deseperate.

First, you should get 30-days free support for installation issues.

But have you tried turning off UAC in Vista (unless you do this, you're not a real Admin). See this ACT! Knowledge Base article - http://tinyurl.com/565h48

Also, is that the full error?

Can you access the Demo database?

Copper Super Contributor

Re: HELP!!! Can't connect to database despite following all KB articles. Getting deseperate.

Just to make sure you got a clean install

Boot into selective startup with all startup items disabled and all non-microsoft services disabled.

Turn off UAC

Turn off Windows Defender

Double check firewall is disabled

Then

I tried to uninstall everything, used the Act removal tool, cleaned up the registry, remove MSSQL, removed the MSXML, reinstalled everything, still the same problem.

Try this again

Brad Marquardt
realtimeACT, Inc
Colorado, USA
Tuned Listener

Mike,

Thanks for your (prompt) response).

Yes of course I have disabled all Vista annoyements, including UAC. Even before installing anything on my laptop. That is the first thing I disabled.

I also have tried to "Run as administrator" any install stuff I could try.

When I launch Act, I have the splash screen then the Open dialog box in order to pick a database.

If I select mine or any demo one (the Act10Demo for example), it immediately stops stating

Error

The database Act10Demo could not be accessed. In order to access

this database, check your network connection and verify that your database

server us available. It may be necessary to disable any firewall software on your computer or the server.

The it offers to get help pressing F1.

I followed each and every step in the HELP (the same as the FAQs here by the way, which makes sense).

And when I want to check using ActDiag, as soon as ActDiag is launched, it stops with a dialog

box saying "Could not connect to the SQL Server Instance. Click yes to continue anyway, No to restart

ActDiag, Cancel to close".

If I click yes in order to move forward a few steps, then I get the Act!Diagnostics window

There, I can't do anything. If I want to get the "server information" it crashes with "Could not find stored procedure 'dbo.sp_get_ptaai"

If I click "Databases"->Database List it crashes too with the same error message.

Steve

Steve JORDI

Turn off UAC

Turn off Windows Defender

Double check firewall is disabled

Yes all are off.

Steve JORDI

Have you tried all the items in this ACT! Knowledge Base article - http://tinyurl.com/6eh5zh

This is a procedure I wrote to get the most clean install possible - assuming ACT! 10 and Vista

Uninstall any version of ACT! from Windows Control Panel | Add/Remove Programs
Use the Uninstaller.exe from the ACT! KB 19338 (the exe, not the manual uninstall)
Uninstall any MS SQL items from the Control Panel if still there
Uninstall MSXML 6 Services from Control Panel if it's still there
Perform a Selective restart with MSCONFIG as per ACT! KB 14499
Install ACT! 10.0 full install
Install ACT! 10.03 patch if the previous install was a previous build
Restore from Selective Startup Mode with MSCONFIG
Reboot

Takes time, but will give the cleanest and most stable install.

For the KB numbers, go here http://tinyurl.com/34xq94 - put the number in "Search Text" and change "Search By" to Answer ID

Copper Super Contributor

[ Edited ]
Clearly the ACT instance of SQL is not configured properly/corrupt etc. back up and start over using the method I prescribed.
Message Edited by realtimeact on 10-27-2008 09:23 AM
Brad Marquardt
realtimeACT, Inc
Colorado, USA
Tuned Listener

Have you tried all the items in this ACT! Knowledge Base article - http://tinyurl.com/6eh5zh

Yes that's where I started from.

I will get back home now and try the other steps you give me and will get back

to you with the results (hopefully good news Smiley Happy

Steve

Steve JORDI

[ Edited ]

Well,

nothing works.

Now I'm definitely thinking about finally trashing that product. I've only had nightmares and problems for about 10 years and a total lack of support from Act!

I spent too many hours trying to fix the thing today (about 5 hours) and honnestly I think that, should this product be professional, Act! and/or MicroSoft should provide a "fixsqlconnection.exe"-like download. We double click it and that's it.  That's the professional way.

I followed all your instructions. And I thank you a lot for the detailed step by step procedure.

The problem when starting with selective configuration is that SQL Server doesn't install. 

It stops at the 4th step called "SQL Server Database Services: configuring components" with an error message telling me "MS SQL Server 2005 Setup: the sa password must meet SQL Server password policy requirements. For strong password guidelines, see Authentification Mode, in SQL Server Books Online".

You have no way at all to pass any password since you're just left with a "Retry" (worth what? I don't know since you can't type in anything anyway) and a "Cancel". This latter is the only way to exit this endloess loop and ends up on a "Setup failed".

If you check what's been installed in the Services, there is only the  "SQL Server VSS Writer", nothing else.

So I decided to run SQLInstall from the CD\Dependencies but it stalls again on the "sa" password.

Act! doesn't connect. ActDiag doesn't start any further than the usual connection error message.

Once you reboot normally in normal mode and try to re-install Act!2008, the SQL Server setupworks perfectly, everything is setup correctly, the Act7 instance is up and running, along with SQL Server Browser and the VSS Writer one.

But no way. ActDiag doesn't even open since it can't connect with SQLServer and Act! itself continues with the stupid "could not be accessed" error message.

By the way, I saved the install log file (Volcano is the name of my machine) if it's of any interest.

You find it at www.sjordi.com/temp/SQLSetup0006_VOLCANO_SQL.zip

Message Edited by sjordi on 10-27-2008 01:12 PM
Steve JORDI

Ah I feel your pain, don't give up the SQL Installer just isn't taking properly.

One more try, take a deep breath.

Follow Mikes instructions for a clean removal and Add the following

Navigate to the c:\program files\microsoft SQL Server

Rename mssql.1 to mssql.old

Now move to the selective startup piece but leave the services section alone (let them all start normally)

Now install from your media and pray

Please keep us posted

Brad Marquardt
realtimeACT, Inc
Colorado, USA